Expensive Fires

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

i get the certified wood thing but man i see alot of wood being transported around. we at the cabin arent in the designated areas but most the wood up there is poplar, birch maple, pine and oak.

and i believe what they charge for that so called certified wood id highway robbery.

Deuces

It has to be kiln dried to a certain temp, fuel isn’t cheap and imagine that’s why it’s smaller chunks in all the bundles now as well.

It is what it is. I’ve seen the ash bug take down some wonderful trees in my time in my neighborhood but guess to each their own.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Can you burn wood from nearby? When I used to camp we would gather wood within a few miles of camp. That certainly is safe but is it legal?
    I know by our cabin you must obtain a permit to gather wood from public land but its very inexpensive.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Can you burn wood from nearby? When I used to camp we would gather wood within a few miles of camp. That certainly is safe but is it legal?
    I know by our cabin you must obtain a permit to gather wood from public land but its very inexpensive.

last time I inquired about get wood up at the cabin all you needed was a permit. At that time there wasn’t a fee but you had to get it in what they called a designated blower down area . Not sure what they do now. We get enough on our property for the most part.

I’ve never heard of anyone getting hassled up there getting there firewood. With the storms they’ve had one would think they’d be happy to clean up downed trees. But most is popple, not good wood for heat, but great campfire wood.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I paid $60 for a full pick-up load (mounded high) of oak and maple slab wood earlier this year. Thinking that was a good deal…

I need some wood to burn at home. How did you find your guy or are you willing to PM their contact? I normally don’t have any room for firewood after loading everything my wife want to bring camping.

Deuces

Not only is it my goal to save some dough but also time. Dragging around nearby woods sounds like more time than I want to commit to it

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They’ve got a couple hundred pallets up here leftover from the floods. Bring a skill saw or chainsaw and trailer and have at ’em.

Deuces

Tried taking apart 2 pallets in my life and those will be the last pallets I ever try to take apart in my life. Both had screw shanks which suuuuuuuck.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Tried taking apart 2 pallets in my life and those will be the last pallets I ever try to take apart in my life. Both had screw shanks which suuuuuuuck.

My wife loves those DIY shows where the current fad is using “reclaimed” pallet lumber to make just about everything.

They always show how easy-breezy it is to panel a whole room in pallet lumber. However, they NEVER show the perky little show host breaking apart the pallets in the first place. I wonder why?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Internet search ‘how to make paper logs’. I was interested in doing it a while ago for a few reasons but determined it was too much effort but thr price is free after you get the equipment to make them.

Basically you take shredded paper or cardboard, soak them in water for a few days and then build a press to force them I to a log shape. Dry them out for a while and you have paper logs

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Internet search ‘how to make paper logs’. I was interested in doing it a while ago for a few reasons but determined it was too much effort but thr price is free after you get the equipment to make them.
    Basically you take shredded paper or cardboard, soak them in water for a few days and then build a press to force them I to a log shape. Dry them out for a while and you have paper logs

I create a lot of saw dust and thought about doing this. You add shredded paper to the saw dust to help hold it together after it dries. I will try it when I can find a used hydraulic shop press cheap enough.

queenswake
    NULL

Last year we camped at Wildwood State Park since all of the nothern MN parks at burning bans because of the drought. The firewood sold at the park looked to be scraps from a lumber milling operation. All of the pieces were like 1/2 inch boards. It was definitely something I had never seen before and make it interesting to try to build any sort of normal fire. There were not logs, but planks.

MNdrifter

Aww man…. I’ve been absent fro IDO for a couple months, been busy adulting. I come back and click on this thread. After reading OP I’m thinking I need to read all the way through these comments. It’s gotta be loaded with PG13 ish dad jokes about wood. No dry/wet, clean, inspected, hard, covered wood jokes?!?!? Not one. Nada. I really hope you guys haven’t lost your senses of humor. lol

Deuces

Aww man…. I’ve been absent fro IDO for a couple months, been busy adulting. I come back and click on this thread. After reading OP I’m thinking I need to read all the way through these comments. It’s gotta be loaded with PG13 ish dad jokes about wood. No dry/wet, clean, inspected, hard, covered wood jokes?!?!? Not one. Nada. I really hope you guys haven’t lost your senses of humor. lol

Expensive wood would have an entirely different feel on a gay forum. yay

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.