Est. position error 899

• JAnderson

Notice last night that my map and course seemed to be way off. The est pos error was 16ft. This is way higher than my other unit that always had 2ft. Anything I can do to fix this short of external puck?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

This may help and may not.

I have a 788, 898, 1199.

When i bought the 1199 i figured it’s GPS would be way worse than my 898 since i already knew my 788’s GPS blew compared to the 898. What i found out however is that the 1199 is much better than the 898 and external puck. Nice surprise.

There’s a setting (I believe under SETUP) for GPS to be set to either 5 or 10. My assumption is that running at 10 will provide more accuracy than 5. However, i’ve left mine at 5 and have been quite happy. My 898 is now running GPS from my 1199 too.

Maybe…Just maybe, your 899 also has this 5 to 10 GPS setting and that may improve your accuracy. I have never played with the 899, but i am starting to believe that GPS quality changes with the series.

Accuracy will float around too depending on when/where you are and satelite availability…But for the most part i’d expect better than 16′.

JAnderson

Thanks for the response. I will try that. I know exactly the setting you are talking about.

My biggest puzzle is that it worked to perfection all day on Saturday…then Wednesday evening it was way off. I have seen that battery and battery connections can play a factor. I am registering 12.2-12.4 at the unit itself so I don’t believe that is it. However, I am going to charge that battery over night and see if it helps.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

HOnestly i think availability of satelites plays a part.
    Were you on different lakes saturday/wednesday.

I really doubt your battery is playing a part.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

These are not military grade GPS units we are using. Even though the government has deregulated the signal, there is still some scrambling from time to time so Isis can’t use it to send a guided missile with military accuracy. As good as the mapping chips are, they too are not perfect. Satellite location has a big impact on accuracy also. The closer they are to being directly overhead, the more accurate the GPS unit will be.

JAnderson

I understand that. Why then would my est pos error on previous unit always be 2ft and this one bounce from like 13-16 ft? Would it be much more accurate to buy the gps puck? Anyone have experience with using both?

Thanks for the help.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

It’s quite possible, the new est pos error is the one that is more accurate
    in estimating the position error.
    Might be the old one is the inaccurate 2 ft est pos error.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.