New Muskie Rod

• brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I am looking to get a new cheap muskie rod as I will have more people in my boat this year. What are your thoughts on the best rod in the $100 range? It will be used mostly for bulldawgs and cowgirls.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

For a cheap one you can’t really go wrong with a Gander Mountain rod. Great warranty and a nice price. Make sure to get a longer & heavier model for tossing those baits. Otherwise I’ve heard a few good things about the new Tackle Industries rods, the price point on these looks to be pretty darn fair for what you get. I believe they are just over a hundred bucks. Perhaps Shaley can chime in about these as I believe he owns a few.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

There’s 3 low priced options that i’d look at.
    1. tackle industries lengths to 9′ long rear handle 17″ (makes for easy 8’s) and $110 tyd shipped

2. Mike Hulbert’s Muskie Armor rods 9′ length 17″ rear handle thick rear and front grips I think Mike gets $130 shipped

3. Okuma EVX telescopic lenghts to 9’3″ will fit in most rod lockers 16″ rear handle $120 at thorne bros.

I don’t think a guy could go wrong with any of these 3 just DONT buy a gander or bull dawg rod you will kick your self when it falls apart In a week

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I’d take a look at Bass pros Muskie angler. Pete maina has alot of input on them and uses them himself. I think they’re in the $100-120 range.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I have one of the Tooth Tamer rods, mines a 8’6″ rod that I haven’t used, but for a bit over a $100 it seems well made, might want to take a look at them.

Al

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I bought a Tackle Industries Mega Heavy 8’6″ – 9′ at the Muskie Expo. I think I paid 120.00 for it. I’ll let you know after this weekend how I like it. Is it Saturday yet?

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I bought one from Jason Hamernick at the expo for $100.
    Maybe shoot him an email? Nice looking rods! 8 1/2 and 9 footers.
    http://www.muskiebreath.com/

shaley
    Milford IA

My votes for the Tackle Industries rods, been using them since last fall and love it. Normaly grab it over my Loomis and Predtator. The XH and XXH are perfect for dawgs, pounder and big blades.

I totaly agree with Tim on the Muskie Innovations rods, they will wear you out in a couple hours the rods are just to heavy and unbalanced. Ran a GM rod once to, couldn’t pass up the deal and threw it 3 casts and sold it.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I also went with the Tackle Industries rod at the MN Muskie show. One more week to give her a test run…

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I’ve never thrown the T.I rods, but I really like my Shimano Compre 8′ XH

It comes with an over the counter lifetime warranty, and it’s only $120

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

I’ve never thrown the T.I rods, but I really like my Shimano Compre 8′ XH

It comes with an over the counter lifetime warranty, and it’s only $120

My buddy thought the same thing when he got his last year, it now sits in the gargae and he throws a TI rod. And those MI rods for some weird reason.

red89
    Hudson

I have had a 7′ gander mountain rod for probably 6 years now and use it everytime i musky fish. Think it was probably 80$. It has not broken or fallen apart…

shaley
    Milford IA

No way I could go back to a short rod, my body would be shot in a day. I also had a GM rod,looked good in the store felt good but lacked …… I made 5 casts with a hellhound with it and traded it off.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

I have had a 7′ gander mountain rod for probably 6 years now and use it everytime i musky fish. Think it was probably 80$. It has not broken or fallen apart…

Sure you could buy a gander rod and have it last for ever….but for guys like shaley and I that fish every day our rods NEED to be built tough. The one that I had fell apart in a week cork falling off the handle, guides twisting a peice of junk.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

I am very happy with my Shimano Compre rods. Affordable, life time warranties. I started with Gander Mountain, they served their purpose when I was starting out, but they were too short and not nearly rated heavy enough, part of the learning curve. Go no shorter than 8′ is my advice.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Go no shorter than 8′ is my advice.

I’d deffinately agree with that one I’d even go longer if you can. I had my handles extended this year at thorne bros, now my shortest rods are about 8’4″, and my long rods are almost 9′. I’m really seeing a marked improvment my casting distance aswell as cast control, and figure 8’s. I really wish I’d of know about that sooner

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I will 2nd the Shimano Compre 8′ XH. very nice rod for the $$

jawahunter
    Ellsworth, WI

I know this is a dusty topic but I didn’t want to start up a new one.

As far as the telescopic rods, Yay or nay? Any issues with them strength wise compared to a full 1 piece?

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have the Okuma 8’6″T XH and love it.. I haven’t seen many issues with strength and I have thrown Pounders on it.. You just have to be a little more careful. Its more of a lob with the pounders.

shaley
    Milford IA

Got a couple years on my TI 9′ telescoping and no issues, use it for big rubber and trolling….Has seen alot of abuse and still going strong….

jawahunter
    Ellsworth, WI

That’s the brand I was looking at and was looking for input on them. Thank you.

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

I bought the St Croix Musky Mojo 8′ Extra Heavy and love it!!! Also have an Okuma XT 8′ Extra Heavy but bought it last fall and never got it in the boat.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

I have fished the mojo musky, shimano’s, and the musky innovations and last year I bought an Okuma 9’3″ from gander for $114.99 and won’t fish anything else. I throw alot of big plastics and this rod loves it! I run a saltist reel, and can outthrow any set-up that’s fished out of my boat. Just my 2cents

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.