Chasing Muskies

• nextbite
    Newton, IA

I live in central Iowa so to get to larger quantities of muskies I have to travel quite a bit north. I do have a few options in my area to fish for them in small numbers. I have never caught one yet but came close in minnesota last november. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to locate them in this type of situation. In central iowa we don’t have a season so I can fish for them now if I wanted as well. I have a cousin that fishes bass tourneys in the closest lake a few years back 3 were boated by bass aglers so I am hoping to just have a chance.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Drive to a MN Lake and throw a cow girl…

Look for cabbage and rock – put in your time.

Easy as 1-2-3

Dog

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Drive to a MN Lake and throw a cow girl…

Look for cabbage and rock – put in your time.

Easy as 1-2-3

Dog

Don’t forget a BullDawg

MuskyTrap

Living in minnesota and not being able to fish until June a friend and I have made a few trips to Iowa for some corn fed muskies. Shoot me a PM I may be able to help you out down there. I know from personal experience there are big fish in some of those lakes.

shaley
    Milford IA

You don’t need to leave the state to get quality or quantity. PC,3 Mile, Clear IGL’s all have good numbers and you may be surprised at the sizes. I hunt them exclusivly after May 21 ( IGL”s opener) and only take 1 trip to MN to chase them.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I knew shaley could keep you closer to home!!!

Mark

shaley
    Milford IA

13 fish netted today on PC out of 16 teams in the first leg of the IOWA Muskie Trail best was a 47+, I managed a 45 and a 40 to take 2nd.

nextbite
    Newton, IA

Nice results at pleasant creek. I have been to MN one time to try so far. Fished Forrest and Rush Lake. The guy that took me out hooked up 2 while I was there but both got away. I have been spending my winter making my own lures and leaders for the first time as well as Ice fishing. I have a new lure idea that I made now I just need to test it out. Thanks for the input on where to go this year in Iowa.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.