Pike on the Fly

• brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

How many guys fly fish for pike on the fly rod? I am absolutely addicted to it. Biggest yet is shy of 32 – 33 lbs on a 6 WT in a float tube in winter, all on custom hand tied deceivers and brando bunnies.
    Heres 2 pics.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I do a lot of warm water fly fishing all summer long, mainly chasing Bass. In the process you’re going to run into some Pike. They’re great fun on a fly rod. I haven’t hooked any that look like your pictures however! Beautiful, heavy fish. I do most of my Bass fishing with an 8 weight as it makes it easier to throw those Deceivers when they get a little water logged. And it’s nice to have some “beef” in the rod when you hook a good fish in the slop.

What do you do for leaders? I’ve tried wire and had problems with it kinking and breaking besides being heavy and hard to throw. I also tried a shock tippet made of 30# hard mono and they bit that off too! I see Orvis has some new wire leaders designed for the salt water guys, I’m going to try them next.

Nice fish!

Rootski

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Before getting into guiding and tournaments, I spent a lot of time in my Mountain Trader tube with my custom Loomis 9×9. Seeing your pics brought back a lot of great memories. I did a little musky and pike fishing with the flyrod. Mid to late June with divers was always good for some excitement. Did a lot of open water Lake Michigan salmon fishing from a tube. Was a blast to have a 30# king pulling you around for a while

fishingdad

Those are some great looking fish. Always wanted to try pike on the fly just haven’t got it done. Maybe this year.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Now that looks like fun!

whittsend

33 lb pike on a fly???? Balls, thats an awesome fish!!! I’ve caught some in my day, and yes, its a blast… way to go!!!

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I have only got a few, but one was 29 inches. I have a 7 weight that I mainly use for smallmouth, but it works fine for pike too. What do you use for leaders? I have bought a few wire pike leaders and used a cross lock snap on the end. Probably not the best for weighting of the line, but I figured I would increase my odds of keeping a nice fish hooked if i get one.

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

thanks fellas.
    For leaders, in all honesty I make my own…. I either use a material called “Toothy Critter” or straight mono.
    I havent even lost a fish on mono, just takes more re-tying leaders more often.

I tie custom pike flies and sell, and can make leaders if anyone is interested?

Thanks again guys.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

A friend of mine just picked ou some of these leaders:

Orvis Leader

They’re re-usable, and come in two different lengths. I’m going to try these out muyself and see.

Rootski

wooly bugger
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the heads up on Orvis leader Rootski. I’ve been using the Cortland Climax pike leader, they are an 8 foot leader with 15 inch wire shock tippiet, for pike and musky when I’ve been ‘waggling a stick’ at them. They are a good leader, and haven’t let me down. But they are on the pricey side.

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Quote:

A friend of mine just picked ou some of these leaders:

Orvis Leader

They’re re-usable, and come in two different lengths. I’m going to try these out muyself and see.

Rootski

good find. see, I cant imagine spending that much on leaders when 30 lb mono is 7 bucks at Canadian Tire or Wal Mart and 40lb backing isnt pricey either… i have never lost a fish using mono leaders…. ever

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Well Brandon I don’t know what to say. I’ve lost dozens of flies to Northerns. Most of the time you don’t even feel them hit, they just clip me off and are gone. That’s with 10 or 12# Maxima hard mono leader material for a tippet.

The interesting thing about those Orvis leaders is the small diameter. The lighter leaders measured .008 inches, or significantly smaller in diameter than 30# mono. What kind of knots do you use with that heavy line?

Have a good week!

Rootski

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Quote:

Well Brandon I don’t know what to say. I’ve lost dozens of flies to Northerns. Most of the time you don’t even feel them hit, they just clip me off and are gone. That’s with 10 or 12# Maxima hard mono leader material for a tippet.

The interesting thing about those Orvis leaders is the small diameter. The lighter leaders measured .008 inches, or significantly smaller in diameter than 30# mono. What kind of knots do you use with that heavy line?

Have a good week!

Rootski

Rootski,
    I just run the standard ol fishingermans knot but I dont twist it more than 3 times other wise its near impossible to get a solid finish on the knot…

I have also used Cortlands Toothy Critter…. look into that… I have used about 3 feet of that to a swivel then tied on about 3 feet of 20lb, to 4 feet of 30 at the line itself…

I even use 20lb for my tip up leaders, rarely use tip up line straight to the bait….

a few more options anyhow, but all that matters is sticking to what works for you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.