Anyone know of large to medium sized musky…..

• haner

crankbaits that would troll less than 12 ft. Most cranks i have when trolled dive well below 12 ft. Anyone have any recommendations for shallow running large med to large sized musky cranks that you dont have to shortline either to keep em shallow. Thanks.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

have you tryed trolling Bobbies and Suicks
    nice wide swimming action good in cold water
    dive 2-8ft at 1.5-3.2mph
    other wise heat and bend the lip upword on Jakes and Grandmas
    at the tip to horzontal just the last 1/4-3/8in
    that will shallow them up too

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

7” Straight Believer runs 2-10 foot while trolled
    8” Straight Believer runs 2-12 foot while trolled

71/2” – 9” Grandma Lures run 8-10 foot while trolled
    13” Grandma Lure runs 15-30 foot while trolled

Just to name a few.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

You could also add a couple jerk baits to the list. Reef Hawgs and Sledges. They both will troll down to 4 – 10 feet and have decent side to side action.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Musky Innovations Shallow Invader, Bucher ShallowRaider, Creek Chub, Big Fork 7″ Jointed Reef Digger, Nils Master, 10″ Believer on the shallow eye (jointed one runs really shallow). You could also try grinding down the lip on a 10″ Jake — if you round it off down to the reinforced area it will still run, only shallower and more erratic (will still run straight if you go relatively slow).

I’ve wondered about that trolling bite for a few years now, please let me know how you do!

jiggin

Try going to muskyshop.com (Rollie&Helens). Click on crankbaits, then click on the bait for discription. I think it’s 50% off internet orders if you buy.

FishingFool

10″ Jake,50 feet of line out,80 pound Power Pro line,you are at 10 feet.If you are still hitting bottom,shorten how much line you have out.Banging the lures off the bottom can be a trigger,it is on LOTW. Paul

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

Slow_

Large husky jerks/ rapalas (change out the hooks)
    Super shad raps
    Bomber long A ( musky sized)- Great looking bait trolled

DD’s/ Wendels Muskie Snacks.

All these produce in my boat. They also produce some huge eyes as well.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Don’t forget the SS Shad in both the 5-1/2 and 6-1/2″ sizes they have great side to side wobble

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Don’t forget the SS Shad in both the 5-1/2 and 6-1/2″ sizes they have great side to side wobble

I’ll second that! The best lure I’ve found for trolling the shallow sand on Mille Lacs! Casting they run from 0-3 feet. Trolling from 2- 7 feet.

AWH

Quote:

Try going to muskyshop.com (Rollie&Helens). Click on crankbaits, then click on the bait for discription. I think it’s 50% off internet orders if you buy.

Definitely NOT 50% off at R&H! I think they offer 5% off on internet orders though, so probably just a typo. I would check out Musky Tackle Online though. Normal prices are much better there than 5% off at R & H, plus you can get free shipping at MTO.

Aaron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.