Has anyone had anything really interesting, odd…

• haner

or just something that was really cool happen this year while musky fishing. I always like to hear cool stories. To give an example 1 cool thing i had happen to me was in 2005. I was cranking a small northern in to the boat (2lbs) and i was cranking it fast and out of no where i had about a 47 explode like 2 feet out of the water and miss the pike, super loud, scared the heck out me. Another time had a loon wake behind a topwater and kind of blow up on it, good thing it didnt get hooked, the wake was enormous, i thought i had a super tanker coming behind. Was trolling last week and had a guy cut behind me and caught his prop, took about 30 min. to dig it out of his prop. Anyone got WOW stories? Thanks!

catmando
    wis

Back in the early 80’s i did a heck of alot of night fishing. Well one night i was useing topwater and had a strike, she started to roll, anyway got her to the boat, line wrapped everywhere. all 3 trebes stuck someplace, Anyway i put the flashlight in my mouth and lipped locked her 43” er started to cut and unhook her well she started to shake and buck i lost my grip, down she fell, 1 hook caught right under my zipper of my jeans, i felt the cold steel by the junk but didnt get hooked. the more i spread my legs the more she thrashed finally dropped my pants to get the fish away from me SCARY BUT TRUE STORY oh the fish made it.

haner

Quote:

Back in the early 80’s i did a heck of alot of night fishing. Well one night i was useing topwater and had a strike, she started to roll, anyway got her to the boat, line wrapped everywhere. all 3 trebes stuck someplace, Anyway i put the flashlight in my mouth and lipped locked her 43” er started to cut and unhook her well she started to shake and buck i lost my grip, down she fell, 1 hook caught right under my zipper of my jeans, i felt the cold steel by the junk but didnt get hooked. the more i spread my legs the more she thrashed finally dropped my pants to get the fish away from me SCARY BUT TRUE STORY oh the fish made it.

OMG, that is great, hillarious!!!!!! Atleast u got the fish.

howler
    bagley wi.

WOW

catmando
    wis

Here’s another quick one. Flathead fishing with my friend Doc. new spot. so i get my light rod out with a 2oz weight and 5 o hookto check bottom to make sure its fairly clean. bringing the sinker along the bottom back to the boat i feel something strange, reel up a 17 inch walleye hooked in the i looked at DOC and said when your good you dont need bait for walleyes. that was one in a million.

haner

Quote:

Here’s another quick one. Flathead fishing with my friend Doc. new spot. so i get my light rod out with a 2oz weight and 5 o hookto check bottom to make sure its fairly clean. bringing the sinker along the bottom back to the boat i feel something strange, reel up a 17 inch walleye hooked in the i looked at DOC and said when your good you dont need bait for walleyes. that was one in a million.

We did that on Mille Lacs too. We lost ours at the boat though.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

OMG, that is great, hillarious!!!!!! Atleast u got the fish.

Yeah and atleast you didn’t get a Prince Albert Piercing

catmando
    wis

Isn’t fishing and hunting great. sometimes i feel sorry for the people who don’t.

catmando
    wis

I was always going to put that one in this happened to me in ODL. Sometimes i wonder how i made it to this ripe old age of 49.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

That “full moon” muskie bite we all hear about Too funny!

thegun
    mn

Was on LOTW jigin walleyes! little guy i caught and released came back belly up! i was near a bald island full of seagulls and a hand full of pelicans! one seagull spotted the fish and landed a short distance from the boat! then a big pelican swooped over and landed a few feet behind the seagull! the fish was so close to the boat they were leary of coming in with all of us in the boat! after a few mins the seagull started inchin in! the pelican stayed real close! I thought that sucker was going to let the seagull grab the fish and then take it from it after it gat awy a bit!

about that time the seagull grabs the fish andstarts to take off! PELICAN RIGHT BEHIND HIM!! in mid air pelican snaches seagull and fish in one quick swipe bird and fish went down his throat!

Now thats some National geographic stuff right there!

wish i had it on film! it was unbelievable!

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Funny you mention the Loon wake. Last week I had an immature loon that would not leave me alone. It got so bad that the loon was swimming all around the boat under water. I did not want to cast so I just waited with my bait dangling in the air and that loon swam circles around it(underwater) waiting for me to drop it in. It was sooo hilarious that I had to video tape a few minutes of it. Wish I could post it. Needless to say that loon is there everytime I am there and it does not care what you do to scare it away. I am curious if anyone on here is familiar with this Loon I am talking about. He frequents a weed bed here in the north metro. Besides the 30 seconds of footage I got I do not torment this loon so no bashing please as I respect the state bird as much as the essox, and I can slap the water as hard as possible and it still will not go away. By the way, I have a Black and Silver Ranger, I wonder if it thinks…. Nevermind..

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I watched a show on eagles a week before a trip near Park Rapids, MN. In this documentary, it stated that “Fisher Eagles” (like Bald Eagles and the like) don’t eat other animals so fish habitat is extremely important to their survival.

Got on the lake, fishing……… see a BIG bald eagle fly over……. all of a sudden it banks back and dives into the reed bed we’re fishing the edge of and takes off with a gossling!!! Momma honker was going ballistic and didn’t shut up for half an hour but that eagle took that honker…… good sized at that……. and flew over to it’s nest and dropped in with dinner.

I couldn’t help but mention, “You never see that in the documentaries!”.

haner

Quote:

I watched a show on eagles a week before a trip near Park Rapids, MN. In this documentary, it stated that “Fisher Eagles” (like Bald Eagles and the like) don’t eat other animals so fish habitat is extremely important to their survival.

Got on the lake, fishing……… see a BIG bald eagle fly over……. all of a sudden it banks back and dives into the reed bed we’re fishing the edge of and takes off with a gossling!!! Momma honker was going ballistic and didn’t shut up for half an hour but that eagle took that honker…… good sized at that……. and flew over to it’s nest and dropped in with dinner.

I couldn’t help but mention, “You never see that in the documentaries!”.

good one Kid, i know u got more……..

catmando
    wis

This a little different i was bowhunting and this Bear den is really part of a huge rock thats split, anyway my tree and stand is right by the opening. I was climbing the tree and saw something looking at me. a bear her face is about 2 feet from my boot. I get out of their, but i came back in feb and took this picture of her and her cubs got within 5 ft of her.

Derek Hanson

Thats a cool picture catmando!! Very interesting. I wouldn’t want to wake that bear up from her nap, lol.

Derek Hanson

I’ve had many odd experiences while fishing, but I’ll share the most recent “odd experience” while fishing. I had been musky fishing all day and it was getting close to dark, which is my favorite time to be on the water, right before dark and shortly after dark because fish seem to be more active. Well…my locater stopped working right before dark….so I had to end my trip early even though it was dark already. I pulled up to the boat landing dock and it was completely dark. I noticed a quite large animal staring at me from the cement slab of the landing at the edge of the water. My first thought was that it was a deer….but I looked at it longer, and it wasn’t leaving, and it wasn’t scared of the boat or the noise from the motor. I turned the motor off and I stayed in the boat staring at this wierd creature. All I had for light was my head lamp, and the reflection from my light on to its eyes still scares the crap out of me today. As I stared at this animal it stared back and didn’t move an inch as I was only about 40-50 feet away from it. They appeared to be large cat-like eyes and very creepy and suspicious looking. What was only probably 10 minutes, which seemed like an hour, the creature slowly walked a couple steps away and would stop and stare back, and continued to do this until it went into the woods which is only another 30 yards from the landing. I waited probably another 30 minutes before I walked to my truck while carrying a knife with me, lol. I was shaken up for a couple days after this because that was a very strange acting creature. I could also slightly see the image of the animal and it had a long and some-what bushy tale, so obviously not a deer. Very large animal as well. I can still visualize those eyes, something I’ll never forget and something that I’ve definitely never seen before. I believe I saw a cougar, and that might be hard for many to believe….but honestly I don’t know what else it could be. I was on Lake Alexander, which is close to Camp Ripley, and there has been quite a few sightings in that area. I was at the boat landing on the west side during the middle of the week, and I was the only one there as it was very quiet. Those eyes were the biggest cat looking eyes I’ve ever seen.

haner

Quote:

I’ve had many odd experiences while fishing, but I’ll share the most recent “odd experience” while fishing. I had been musky fishing all day and it was getting close to dark, which is my favorite time to be on the water, right before dark and shortly after dark because fish seem to be more active. Well…my locater stopped working right before dark….so I had to end my trip early even though it was dark already. I pulled up to the boat landing dock and it was completely dark. I noticed a quite large animal staring at me from the cement slab of the landing at the edge of the water. My first thought was that it was a deer….but I looked at it longer, and it wasn’t leaving, and it wasn’t scared of the boat or the noise from the motor. I turned the motor off and I stayed in the boat staring at this wierd creature. All I had for light was my head lamp, and the reflection from my light on to its eyes still scares the crap out of me today. As I stared at this animal it stared back and didn’t move an inch as I was only about 40-50 feet away from it. They appeared to be large cat-like eyes and very creepy and suspicious looking. What was only probably 10 minutes, which seemed like an hour, the creature slowly walked a couple steps away and would stop and stare back, and continued to do this until it went into the woods which is only another 30 yards from the landing. I waited probably another 30 minutes before I walked to my truck while carrying a knife with me, lol. I was shaken up for a couple days after this because that was a very strange acting creature. I could also slightly see the image of the animal and it had a long and some-what bushy tale, so obviously not a deer. Very large animal as well. I can still visualize those eyes, something I’ll never forget and something that I’ve definitely never seen before. I believe I saw a cougar, and that might be hard for many to believe….but honestly I don’t know what else it could be. I was on Lake Alexander, which is close to Camp Ripley, and there has been quite a few sightings in that area. I was at the boat landing on the west side during the middle of the week, and I was the only one there as it was very quiet. Those eyes were the biggest cat looking eyes I’ve ever seen.

I heard the word is the Baby Mallard has been nailem muskies latetly?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Timber wolf I have seen a few of them while bear hunting, right at dark. The bushy tail makes me think it may have been a timber wolf. Sure freaks a person out

Bob Bowman
    MN

I still can’t think about this without laughing my off.

I was sitting at the dock one evening as the sun was starting to go down, waiting for the person I was going to be fishing with to come and join me. So to kill some time, I start messing with fishing rods, making sure that the line is in good shape, and knots are good and leaders are all in good shape. All looks fine, so I move on to baits, well lets just be honest, I could mess around with baits all day long. As I sit in the boat tied to the dock, I am starting to worry that this trip was going to turn into a no show, and I honestly thought about just heading out fishing alone that night. I decide to give it another 10 minutes. I pulled out the digital camera and started to look at recent catches and also to make sure that the batteries were in good shape for the evening. I got kinda lost in looking at some of the pic’s, when I hear the loudest splash, the kind of splash like a big lab jumping off the dock after a bumper…well it just so happened that my fishing partner for the night shows up, and decided to make a grand apperance, or should I say dis-apperance. He somehow managed to walk right off the side of the dock, not the end…but the side. I just remember him standing there in water up to his sholders, and my smart making some comment about him needing a shower. The best part of the entire thing was there was a Bar/Grill right there with outside seating, and there were many others that got to see this. The laughter was loud out on the lake, and it coutinued for some time while we were out fishing.

haner

Got another one that just came to mind. ( i believe this too) a friend of mine told me this story of one evening he was fishing Sugar Lake. He said he was casting a shorline and looked over at this poodle at the end of the dock. He said the poodle jumped off the dock and WHAM, musky crushed it and a little old lady was going nutz, “wheres my poodle”, and frantically yelling for her poodle, the dog never came up.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Last year me and a buddy were fishing millacs for the full moon bite in October. The wave were about 5-6 feet and were coming right out of the south. At about 11 or so we decided to go to the south side to get out of the wind. We headed in to the Red Door Inn to load the boat. Once we hit the little cove things weren’t much better. My buddy at the helm I decided to make my way up to the front of the boat to make a quick exit to get the truck so we could get to the south side to continue our night. As we were making our way to the Dock my buddy faild to mention that he didn’t like the boat position and decided to put it in reverse. Just as he was doing that I decided to make the leap for the dock. I had just purchased a new pair of carhardts and I was stiff as a board. I made the leap and missrd the dock and ended up in that 50 degree water. After that I just stood there with water filling both my boots and my pants. I was just shocked my buddy had to yell at me to get my out of the water.

Derek Hanson

Yeah its possible it was a timber wolf, but those eyes looked like cat eyes. The eyes were somewhat slanted and gave it the image of a cat-like head. Hard to explain, you just had to be there to understand what I saw I guess.

Derek Hanson

Did he have some pre-fishing beverages that impaired his balance???lol Thats funny!!!

Derek Hanson

Wasn’t that Dick Pearson that told you that story?? Hard to believe those finicky sugar lake muskies would go for a poodle. What color was the poodle???

catmando
    wis

This is about musky fishing. I have only seen this after a thunderstorm with lightning.A Musky swimming almost vertical in the water with about a foot to a foot and half of it’s head out of the water. seen one swim all the way across Deer Lake . One of the Dangedest thing i ever saw.

timmy

Quote:

This is about musky fishing. I have only seen this after a thunderstorm with lightning.A Musky swimming almost vertical in the water with about a foot to a foot and half of it’s head out of the water. seen one swim all the way across Deer Lake . One of the Dangedest thing i ever saw.

Saw the same thing with about a 15lb pike up on a border lake this Memorial Day weekend! It swam that way for long enough that I could fumble through the boat, dig the camera, and get about 1/2 a minute of fottage of it. Wierd.

Tim

Derek Hanson

I saw two different muskies in the same day on two different sides of Mille Lacs lake do that same thing. Swimming with their heads about 1-2 feet out of the water. I wonder why they do that??? They look foolish swimming like that. Its strange because thats the only time I’ve ever seen it happen and I saw it happen twice in same day. I think, if I remember right, it was sometime in late August….so it might have something to do with the very warm water temperatures????

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I couldn’t decide if I should post this in the smallmouth forum or not but we were muskie fishing so I suppose it counts here. My dad and I spent the day on Mille Lacs last friday fishing muskies with little success. The only muskie we saw was a 25 incher that I caught that might be the smallest muskie in Mille Lacs…anyhow, my dad managed to catch 40.5 inches of smallmouth bass in one cast on a Salmo Whitefish. One was a very fat 20 inches and the other was 20.5 inches and pretty fat as well. Talk about a once in a lifetime thing. Here is a picture of both of them on the lure the way they came in. Not quite as good as a 50 inch muskie, but pretty cool none the less.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Not Bad That is sweet

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.