GoTo Musky Lure: Round 2

• CastJigBAM

Ok guys, I’m back to work and back to the same subject with the fellows here. Whats your favorite lure to go to after a big hit and miss or big follow? I’ve heard more that a bulldog is the go after this scenrio but have never tried this myself. Plus a bulldawg is pretty heavy and I think it will not work as good in the shallows. Shallow vs Deep whats the recommendations? From experience that thrill usually stunns me leaving me in dissaray by trying to cast back to the spot with the same lure, but the usual result is no connetion.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I am partial to a Shallow Dawg or a Tiger Tube. However twitching a crank or small jerk is never a bad idea either.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

However twitching a crank or small jerk is never a bad idea either.

yep!

As for your bulldogs not going shallow enough. Here is a little trick:

The bulldog has a wire going through the body. If you take the body in hand and do a slight bend “downwards” in the middle, creating a “boomerang” look, this will make the nose ride “up” and make water flow underneath the “flat” belly.

It doesn’t take much of a bend, so don’t go crazy with it. Just a 5 degree bend. Play with it. It works!

Also, to make it run deeper, bend the middle body the opposite way.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

If she’s close by how bout a small Suzy Sucker or Bucktail in her face?

chris johnson
    Appleton, WI

Throw bass gear, you always catch more ski’s with bass baits than anything else. Try a 3/4oz tandum all white spinnerbait and burn baby burn!

catmando
    wis

A yellow lizard from jacks JIGS its been a great bait over the years.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

a DeLong Killer eel 12″

timmy

I hate to be the first to say it, but in WI I like to catch a nice blue gill/crappie/perch(or sucker in MN) and quick-strike rig it. It gets a lot of bites. Suspended 7-10 feet below the boat gets a lot of follows to bite. For a known fish on a specific spot, a controlled positioning to get the bait on the spot will prduce a lot of fish.

I know a lot of purists on here will cringe, but the question was how to catch them…..and the answer is bait.

Tim

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Quote:

I hate to be the first to say it, but in WI I like to catch a nice blue gill/crappie/perch(or sucker in MN) and quick-strike rig it. It gets a lot of bites. Suspended 7-10 feet below the boat gets a lot of follows to bite. For a known fish on a specific spot, a controlled positioning to get the bait on the spot will prduce a lot of fish.

I know a lot of purists on here will cringe, but the question was how to catch them…..and the answer is bait.

Tim

Only trouble is we only get one line in MN, I know for sure that I would always have a decoy hanging over the side of the boat when I hucked baits, if it were legal. I have fished enough big suckers in my life for northerns and bass to know how much time to give a fish to eat. With the circle hooks and quickstrikes on the market today there is almost no reason to ever end up with a gut hooked fish anymore, unless you are of the old school belief that you have to give a fish 5 minutes to “take the bait”.

timmy

Dan – That’s one of the main reasons I was hoping MN would go to two lines. When I go with the wife, her line is livebait in the rod holder and she catches more than I do .

I use homemade quickstrikes and set the hook as soon as I get my other line in and stowed – as soon as possible. In MN, if I can get a few big suckers, I keep them in the livewell and rig one up only if I have spotted a big fish. It is somewhat effective .

Tim

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Tim

I think this comes down to “choices”. I’ve been playing with this idea and so far, my results indicate that lazy follows only mean that the fish is close to being aggressive……… and will become so if offered the correct “choice”. Live presentations have long been offered as a “choice” to increase numbers of hook-ups and if not successful, no one would do it.

BUT……………

Have you ever seen a neutral fish swim away from a free, real meal? I have. Why would a big predator leave a free meal alone? I’m not sure but the word “chase” comes to mind. It still has to feel the desire to work for that meal…… so if it’s trying to conserve energy, for whatever reason, it’s not going to “work” very hard.

This makes me think of the plastic in the propwash kinda thing. Only MUCH slower.

Aggressive fish act in aggressive manners and this is most of the experiences being shared…… because of the hook-ups. But the lazy follower….. these are the stories of blood pumping disappointment. It’s also a topic of interest because we’re always talking about turning “neutral” fish into aggressive fish. I don’t think this ever REALLY happens. A neutral fish will follow you all day……… why? And if you find a way to make it strike, is it aggressively done or is it done in kind of a “ho-hum….. okay, I guess so” attitude? You may get a hookset, but not often a real good one and they regularly get away without getting their picture taken.

So…….. where am I going with all this?

Give it something that it can lazily take. If you can run 3 lines, you’ll find your followers using #1, leave a live meal on #2, and drag a plastic on #3. Last fall, #3 got hit by more “lazy follows” than #2 did. The only reason I can offer is the assumption of chase. They wanted something so easy, they could just take it. Treat it the same as a live rig…… let ’em run until the running stops, count to 5, and WHAM!!!

There was even a moment when simply setting a lure in the water, not moving at all, had a fish come up and check it out. I think I scared it off by being so close and visible……… but it was willing to take “something”, provided “something” presented itself.

Most successful predators in this world, take what can be taken easily, when possible. Because this doesn’t happen often, they get more aggressive and take more chances. Hunger drives them to do so.

This June 7, I’ll be putting some of this theory into the spring/early summer season to see if results differ. But last fall, live bait was “out chosen” 5:1.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.