Any Recommendations for Big fish Lakes in Wisc.

• haner

Cant decide where i want to go for Norther Wisc. opener. Trying to find a lake where i may be able to find big fish? Not numbers or 30inchers, possibly upper 40’s or 50’s? Looking north central or western part of state. Any suggestions?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Namekagon and Yellow both can produce some nice sized fish.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Preface: I’m not a Llunge chaser and know very little about the specie. What is a walleye guy even doing in this forum?

I’m curious what the musky community thinks about LCO, Grindstone, and the Chippewa Flowage for bigger fish.

Sully

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Middle Eau Claire in Bayfield County.

haner

I fished Grindstone last year on opener (huge mistake). It was a Bluebird day though. Very clear water (like fishing in an aquarium). Saw one mid 40s at the landing, saw another low 30s on a topwater, wont go back. LCO, i have been doing research, but nothing real positive has come up (lots of water, suppose to not have huge fish anymore??). I am looking for recommendations for larger fish?

haner

Was considering Yellow for opener? Anyone know what to expect on Yellow? High boat traffic and pressure?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Was considering Yellow for opener? Anyone know what to expect on Yellow? High boat traffic and pressure?

Stingler should be able to answer this question.

Besox

There will be lots of boats on Yellow this weekend.
    Bone is usually solid early. Also, Blake isn’t to bad.

haner

After wasting my time on Grindstone last year i ran over to Bone and pitched a shut out there as well. Saw a few little guys . What about Big Mckenzie or Wapogasset, any other suggestions for big fish?

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

I fished Yellow last year muskie opener. (Note: I didn’t catch a muskie so this advice is only slightly better than what you’ll hear from the drunk next to ya at the bar.)

Fish were up shallow — I mean really shallow (it was a cold spring unlike now). Fish seemed to be relating to warmer water areas. The inlet from Yellow River or Little Yellow had a degree or two warmer water and I saw many fish in these areas. Had several follows / hits that missed too. Also check the flowage out of Little Y. Saw a beast floating on the surface there.

Marked some tankers off the deep drops straight out from the eastern boat launch — but those could have been state record sturgeon for all I know.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Forgot to mention boat traffic: yes Pressure: yes
    If its a nice day: forget about it — pleasure cruisers everywhere
    If its rainy: probably your best opportunity to catch a biggie

phishirman
    Madison, WI

you guys need to fish Lake Monona. In the last 2 days, I betcha I’ve seen 50 Muskies up shallow. Stuck one 42incher fishin bass and caught 2 other smaller ones. Probably 12 of those that I spotted have been over 40 and a couple pushing 45. The lake is overrun with those garbage fish

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

A few lakes come to mind… The Eau Claire Chain, Grindstone, Chip Flowage, Whitefish, Namekagon, Big Siss, and Round…

All are low density lakes, but have big fish…

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

After wasting my time on Grindstone last year i ran over to Bone and pitched a shut out there as well. Saw a few little guys . What about Big Mckenzie or Wapogasset, any other suggestions for big fish?

Just because you got a skunk on Bone once, don’t count it out. It’s a great fishery with some good pigs in it. Wapogassett it’s a numbers lake. What muskies are in the system may be large but nailing a fish there with any predictability is very tough. Big northerns in Wapo too so there’s always a possibility, but not what I’d recommend.

Everyone knows the Chippewa Flowage has big fish. In fact, almost anywhere in the Chippewa System will have a potential pig in it. They can be a bear to chase in the river though! It seems like the flowages are always better for numbers.

I’ve also spent time on Yellow but again, it’s no secret. It’s not a big secret where to expect the fish either so the pressure there is pretty consistant. However, the results can often be worth it when they come!

I’ll have to second Stinglers location recommendations. Some very large fish have been released in this area and it’s an easier one to cover. If you have the ability to go down the flowage, there are a couple potenial areas back there too but “the big one” could be lurking anywhere back there. I had an encounter last spring, pre-season muskie, while chasing some pike. I was clear down to the last stump field before the dam and just before we got in the stumps WHAM! My fishin’ buddy’s pole was bent to the handle and the line literally sung by my ear! We lost the fish but I’ve had encounters in that stretch before. I did warn him to be prepared……… big fish area…… but his eyes became saucers and he was scared helpless! That alone was worth the trip!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I certainly wouldn’t give up on Grindstone, that’s for sure!!! For the opener, maybe not the best choice, but… Consider sight fishing in the shallows with plastics. Also if its going to be sunny fish very early and very late in the day into dark. I think trolling is an option on this lake and perhaps running the first good breaks close to spawning areas with mid to deep divers might dredge up a fish. Once temps get a little warmer and fish have seen some baits, I would consider open water for suspended fish. Jakes, large raps and depthraiders have been good baits for me 100′ back with a small rubbercore sinker to keep weed sprigs off the bait and an ounce or two to get baits deeper. Oh and if you know where the weeds are around the spawning areas, I would work those too. Hope for cloudy weather and I would have no problem fishing for larger fish there during the day!!!

LCO may be losing it reputation a little, but I wouldn’t give up on it either. Good luck, remember big fish don’t just come around every fish, with C&R most fish I catch from the big lakes here in the Minocqua area take some time and the average is getting bigger. Lost reputation also means less fisherman for you to compete with for the rest of those piggies.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Anyone mention Deer or Round north of Amery???

Mark

jld
    Holmen

We fish Lake Winter a lot maybe not the truest trophy lake but we have brought out a few 40″ plus fish. Pretty good numbers lake but watch out for the stumps. Can’t go wrong on the Chippewa Flowage. I know that’s where we will be Saturday.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Anyone mention Deer or Round north of Amery???

Mark

Round is believed to be more of a fluke than a true musky lake. Does the Apple run out of it or through it? I forget which connection it is but it’s believed to be the only source for getting muskies into the lake. I’ve heard that the ones in there can be big but numbers are really low.

I didn’t recommend Deer because finding a fish crossing the coveted 50″ mark is actually quite rare. Almost unheard of. Last year, there was one adult muskie to every 1.1 acre of water, per WIDNR. That’s a LOT of muskies in one lake so food competition plays a role here. I’m not saying it isn’t possible but most fish found in Deer are 38″ to 45″. The biggest I heard of last year was 48″. GREAT numbers lake but highly pressured and famous for it’s lazy follows and/or “boat shy” fish.

BomberA

I was bass fishing up on Trade Lake (Burnett Cty) last Friday evening and I saw 3 muskies shallow and one was every bit of 50 inches. I always have luck on Bone while bass fishing too, but they are usually mid-30’s fish that you aren’t looking for.

Cedar Lake outside of New Richmond has some big fish in it as well. Nothing like pitching a jig to a dock looking for a 4lb largemouth and setting the hook on a 20 lb muskie, followed by SNAP.

Talking about this is getting me kind of excited, maybe I need to start buying some of those $25 lures and some heavy leaders and put down the tube jigs and change species once in a while.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Nothing like pitching a jig to a dock looking for a 4lb largemouth and setting the hook on a 20 lb muskie, followed by SNAP.

You should try throwing muskie baits like a glider and have a 4lb bass crash it, only to give the poor thing an earth shattering, thunder-clapping hookset!!! I feel soo bad for those poor fish. When you get that harsh “thump”, instant reaction is setting the hook as hard as you can on a “pool cue” stick, super-braid, and a tight drag. One of these days, I’m going to snap one of their necks!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

BomberA:

Just buy a bigger tube!!! Lindy makes one.

Mark

BomberA

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing like pitching a jig to a dock looking for a 4lb largemouth and setting the hook on a 20 lb muskie, followed by SNAP.

You should try throwing muskie baits like a glider and have a 4lb bass crash it, only to give the poor thing an earth shattering, thunder-clapping hookset!!! I feel soo bad for those poor fish. When you get that harsh “thump”, instant reaction is setting the hook as hard as you can on a “pool cue” stick, super-braid, and a tight drag. One of these days, I’m going to snap one of their necks!

Gary,

Go easy on my fish please or I’ll start making musky stew

I think I am going to make a few musky trips this year between my normal excusions for green and brown fish, so if you ever have an empty seat let me know

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

I would also say don’t give up on LCO or Grindstone…you said big fish lakes right? Most big fish lakes in WI aren’t numbers lakes. I would also say look towards the Cisco lakes in the Minoqua/Eagle River area as well as the Manitowish Chain. Again, not class A water but that’s not what you’re looking for.

haner

Anyone have any good info they can share about Namekegon (north of Hayward). Type of structure? Weeds? Breakline Depth? Clear or dark water? Lots of pressure? Tactics?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Namekagon is an awesome structure fishin’ lake. Nice islands, rock piles, shallow and deep weedlines etc. You name it..It’s there. Basically fish any old spots that look fishy.

haner

How is the fish population? Size? Numbers? Skinny or Girthy? THANKS!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.