Northern Wisconsin Muskie Opener-LCO

• haner

I am headed to Lac Courte Oreilles for Wisconsin Muskie opener May 26. Never fished it before. Anyone have any tips about the lake and muskie fishery there? Any size to the fish? Numbers? Main forage? Any tips would be helpful.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

it is a TOUGH lake to fish lots of structure and places to hide!

I would say if you get a follow or two a day it was a success. depending on water temp I would focus on either stucky bay or some of the shallower rock humps. There are also some great weed lines if they start coming up by then.

Natural colors have worked best for us and you might want to try some open water trolling with jakes.

good luck

jhalfen

LCO is a deep clear lake with abundant structure: rock, weeds, steep drop-offs, reefs, you name it. Ciscoes provide at least some of the forage base. In years past, LCO used to be a premier trophy fishery, but its size structure has deteriorated somewhat (or so I am told) and the DNR is actively trying to do something about that. This spring, the WI DNR netted 2500 small pike from the lake to try to give the skis and eyes in LCO a better chance (story).

If I were to go chasing an early season ‘lunge in LCO, I’d be working the weeds and bars in musky bay, which is the location of one of the public launches on the north side of the lake. I’ve always liked salt and pepper tubes (to imitate crappies) as an early season offering.

Tony K
    Barnes Wi

cranks over bars at night natural colors or live bate shall. go slow get away from the people. look shallow 2-3ft.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.