Tiger muskie ??

• jeremy-liebig
    mpls

So we all know Tiger muskies are sterile. What I was wondering is do they know they are? Do they actually try to spawn and follow the same patterns of regular muskies during this time? Or do they do absolutley nothing different than usual?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

That is a very good question!!! I look forward to someone with more knowledge on this subject to offer an opinion.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m no expert but in general, the animal kingdom largely acts in reproductive fashion only when it is able to. Fish that have inoperative reproductive organs SHOULD NOT experience spawning behaviors because the chemicals that trigger the instinct are absent.

It’s like fixing a female cat. She no longer acts like she’s in heat. Some males who have been fixed even quit marking territory. Granted, cats and fish have very little in common but reptiles and fish aren’t quite as distant and I know that in the herp world, no goodies equals no coinciding behavior. It’s all about food for them.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What about steers?
    They sometimes forget the jewels were removed…….Meaning they still act like a bull somedays.

This question, the more I think about it, the more it confuses me.

Because of genetic alteration, do they not act like normal fish?
    OR
    Do they just “bump” each other, like other fish during the spawn?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Steers are like dogs, both are warm blooded animals and I swear it’s like some sort of bonding gesture! But a turtle will only try to lay eggs if it has them. A snake will only be courted if she needs to be fertilized. Turtles, snakes, and fish, are all cold blooded creatures, should be a better comparison. If the female isn’t producing eggs, she won’t participate.

On the flip side, I guess the key word here is sterile. Can a male still silt (silt? Is that the right word?) and be full of “blanks”? If this is the case, I can see the males getting involved. But I have serious doubts that the females ever show up for spawning at all. As far as I know, “blank eggs” don’t exist.

We should ask Rivereyes. He’s got a wildlife and fisheries biology degree.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Found this bit of info on why Utah stocks tigers in their lakes:

“Additional benefits from tiger muskies stem from the fact that tiger muskies are sterile. Because tiger muskies do not spawn, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources can closely control the number of tiger muskies in a lake at any one time. Also, because tiger muskies do not put any energy into reproduction (such as energy for egg production, finding a mate, and so on), they grow more quickly than they otherwise would.”

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Stillakid:

I think the word is milt.

Mark

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Stillakid:

I think the word is milt.

Mark

Ever get that feeling……. you know it’s wrong…….. you just can’t think of what’s right??? I was hoping someone would correct me!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.