big follow!! now what???

• bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

As we all know too well, one of the most heart pumping moments is when you get a good fish follow you up. But She just won’t commit. I have thrown back at em’ with bulldawgs and swim jigs, waypoint the spot and come back an hour or so later, keep tossing until you give up. These are all things that I have done, some work sometimes and others on other times. What does everyone else like to do with a big follow?

haner

Let me guess! You were on Mille Lacs. They look but dont eat unless the conditions are 100% perfect. Nothing you can do out there. Its called extremely conditioned and pressured fish. Typically i come back before dark which has not paid off. Or i am going start coming back after dark.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Yank my lure out of the water and get the heck out of there! I’m not a muskie guy and I’ve caught two muskie, both biting boatside. I’m convinced I’m going to have a heartattack next time that happens.

I like to GPS the spot and never come back!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

What does everyone else like to do with a big follow?

I like to start off with:
    Screaming “holy crap, look at that big fish!!!!!!!
    Then I follow through with vicious rod thrashing on the water, that somewhat mimics a figure 8…..
    Then I wrap it up with uncontrollable shakes and constant babbling in some tongue that hasn’t been heard for 2000 years.
    (NOTE: I’ve never connected when this has happened…….no composure)

I’m serious too…….
    Can’t help it…………

I’m fine if I see them coming……but when they “pop out of nowhere”…..I’m toast….

When I see them coming,
    I like to lower my profile a bit by squating down.
    Pick up the speed of the retrieve.
    first move would be a sharp “L”….90′ L
    That “L” turn takes me around the boat to the other side and then start working the figure 8 with sharp turns.

Generally, they hit at that first hard “L”.

Also, if it is a lazy follow, I won’t bother much.
    I would rather fire out a crankbait quick and start twitching/pausing/pulling, attempting to catch the fishes attention while it is returning to its “haunt”.

Lastly……..don’t wear bright colors (white) while fishing…….

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

good call cougareye

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Cougar,
    I’ll take those GPS spots thank you very much!!!!!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Gary, that was the best laugh I’ve had in weeks. Thanks pal!

Oh, and the reason it’s so funny is because I react the same way. I’m unglued

Rootski

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m a “mind over matter” kinda guy…….. when I get the chance! I’m too new in the positive results game to really say how well I do or don’t handle surprises. I’ve only had one flash in from nowhere and I was so astounded by the absence of a follow that I just stared at the fish, that still had the sluggo in it’s jaws, of course! By the time I decided I should set that hook, it was like telepathy…… the fish opened up, I yanked out the lure! WOOONNERFULL!

The other surprise was setting a lure behind the boat, in about 2′ of water, while preparing another set up. I turned around and a fish approximately 40″ long was staring it down as it barely moved in the fairly calm water ripple! I yelled to my buddy, “The back of the boat! Look at the back of the boat!” So…… he looked at the back of the boat! “What? I don’t see anything.” I couldn’t believe it!!! 10′ behind the boat was a fish, in the sunlight, at the surface, perfectly broadside and staring down my Kilr Eel.

He never did spot the fish and it just sunk back into the weeds. I don’t know if we ever saw it again but we saw 12 fish that day.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

What does everyone else like to do with a big follow?

I like to start off with:

I’m glad that I am not the only one

Whiskerkev
    Madison

My buddy likes to pull his bait out of the water and point his finger at them.

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

hahaha.. all good stories.. plus good info… Follows for me are all dependent on the fish… Even lazy follows at least get another toss back… But the lazy ones are the ones I do not pressure.. I come back to them when conditions warrant.. Change in weather (wind switch, cloud cover, etc) or during the time of day (day to dusk/night.. or it could be the next morning).. For ones that smoked in but just wouldnt commit on the bait you were using.. I will work them some.. First, with the same bait they followed.. If nothing, then a throwback with a bait that is totally different then the first bait.. Bucktail to a glider or what have you… Or work em from a different angle… Casting to them from a totally different angle.. Say from behind the spot I seen them follow from, or the piece of structure I think they were holding on.. Works at times.. But I do like to try and get those “hot” fish to bite the first time around..

musky18
    Long Prairie, Minnesota

Very good post and information Jim. Cover all the bases!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.