your favorite early season bucktail?

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m still an old Blue Fox Vibrax fan.

What do you usually grab come opener?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You have good taste Gary, That is the exact one I reach for. The fish fast and have great flash.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I’m still an old Blue Fox Vibrax fan.

What do you usually grab come opener?

I will answer this for Mr. Larson….”The Net”…

I start off with small cranks, typically using them like a jerkbait
    For hair, It has to be black and orange/the giant musky killer

gary_wellman
    South Metro

They are VERY effective and the price is very reasonable too on these!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

black/orange or chart/lime wendals harasser

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

#5 Mepps easy to run at a snails pace over the weeds

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Coming from a Novice:

I used this prior and talking to Gary reinforced my belief of the #5 or #6 Blue Fox Vibrax, Single hook, in White & Red or Black.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I like the DuPont spinner. Fish of a thousand casts???? How ’bout fish of one well placed toss!!!!!!!!!!!!

jld
    Holmen

Fishing the stained lakes of northern Wisconsin (Lake Winter, Chippewa Flowage etc) anything with black hair and a copper blade has worked for us.

timmy

I can’t believe nobody named my ‘ol standby……

The Billy Finn…..Easiest cranking bucktail out there( I believe that half of the battle is not getting worn out during the chase).

Tim

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

My black & red or light blue show girl. Best bucktails I have found that look great in the water.

pahaarstad
    metro

I like to use a black and red tail that I have made myself. It is way more fun to catch a fish on somthing you have made.

haner

Gotta go w/ a black and red harasser. Try burning it over weeds. Will create more of a reaction strike than a lazy follow. Change speeds and direction. Its like your doing the twist in your boat. What are your other favorite or succesful techniques you have used?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Slow Rollin!
    Welcome to IDA!

haner

Thanks, I am ready for opener. I already cant sleep at night. What areas do you muskie fish? I fish Mille Lacs and Detroit Lakes.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Metro waters mostly with Mille Lacs thrown in here/there….. I truly prefer Minnetonka.

haner

Yeah, this will be my first year hitting Tonka. Never fished it before. I will be out every Tues. 6pm to midnight. How is the average size of fish out there? I heard they are skinny?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

There are lots of 30-40 inch fish in the system that are common to catch. However, there are also some true tunas in there. Fish pushing mid-50 inch. There are enough of them that I keep coming back………year after year after year…..

If you are in need of a partner to hit it during those hours, give me a jingle! It truly is a fun lake to fish!

haner

Yeah, i definetly will let you know.. Do you know if there is an open water trolling bite out there. I a third of my 35 total muskies last year in open water.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

it can be done, but it is tough will all the millfoil floating……plus the cruisers, jet skis, sailboats, and other boats…

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

For opener in the metro I like to use a single hook wisher in black/white with a nichel blade for the lake I like to fish. Easy to throw and it keeps the weeds off. Not to mention the single hook makes release a breeze should I get any visitors.

Pal

musky18
    Long Prairie, Minnesota

I have to agree and go with the Blue Fox Vibrax. Silver blade and black hair. Once in a while I will throw a Mr Twister tail on the rear end. Love these baits as you can fish them fast and not get tired. I use them all season long, especially on LOTW. Use it as a search bait to fish fast and look for active fish. A must for everyone’s tackle box!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Several of my favs have been mentioned, but the Mepp’s Musky Maribou has not. The large colorado blade can be bulged and really has become one of my favs in Chartruese/Black. I would also like to try, but haven’t yet the Orange/Black in this bait. The Muskie Killer, Windel’s Harrasser, Blue Fox Vibrax all get tossed in my world.

Mark

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Musky Candy and Eagle Tails

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.