musky trollers comment

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have two rods setup for planer boards, and pulling cranks. They have 12lb mono on them for main line on Diawa Sealines. I purchased them for walleye mainly. Do you think I can get away with this line trolling for skies? I intend to run a 80lb flouro leader. I am on a tight budget and can’t afford to buy 4 more sealines just to put 80 or 65lb main line. The rods are mheavy glass and should be no problem.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

You can get away with it if you are using small lures with small hooks. At that point you can just go to a 20# or 30# leader.

Part of the problem with fishing muskies is getting the hooks through their bony mouths. That requires a stiff rod and heavy line.

That said, in open water a skilled fisherman should be able to land a muskie on that equipment. One downside though is that you will likely really wear them out from the long fight which could kill them.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I have caught a ton of muskies trolling my #9 shad raps on 8 pound mono while trolling walleyes. I never seem to have a problem getting the hook into the fish on the troll.

I think the 12# is too light for trolling muskies. The rods and line both are too light for pulling musky size lures. I agree with the previous post that you are going to run into difficulties releasing fish, especially when the water warms up.

You are going to have to be sure your rods are capable of pulling the lures on the end of your line. A spool of power pro is less than $20.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

These rods have handled bigger cranks with no issues. I am worried about release and tiring them too much. I use a lot of power pro on my cat rigs. I just want line counters for trolling. Thinking of going with 20lb stealth as main line. In the past, I have switched off the line counters and used 6500c3s with 65lb pp. I have heard issues running boards with braid. I have Church walleye boards. I do run top water quite often off the boards.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Not that it can’t be done with light line, that really isn’t the question here. The thing to consider is that the longer you fight a musky, the more likely it is that the fish will not survive. Stiff rods, heavy line and leaders, and locking down your drag are things that Bob and do to speed up the landing process. A stressed fish, especially in warm water instances, will most likely become turtle food.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yep!
    What Dan said!

Sure don’t mean to deter you from the sport of muskie hunting. What the vast majority don’t realize is that these fish are VERY fragile and it truly doesn’t take much to kill them. They do die very easy.

Also, you don’t have to use line counters for trolling muskies. People have trolled muskies for decades without line counters and still do to this day.

Honestly, a strong ugly stick for $20-$30, set up with a basic large bait cast reel from Gander for another $40 will get you where you need to be. If you go that route, I would recommend a super-braid in the 65lb to 80lb range. This heavier line has the thicker diameter to keep those big cranks and big muskies from digging the line into the spool, giving you troubles. If the superline is too expensize, Trilene Big Game line in 25lb range will work great too and is a bit easier on the pocket book.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thinking about this more Kev;
    I think your cat rods would be about perfect for ski-trolling.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have used them many times and have boated more than 50 skis with my cat gear. I have added GPS on my rig this year and wanted to be more precise with my presentation. Thanks for the advice. I pull a lot of tubes and it sure would be nice to have some idea where they are. I usually troll 3 cat rods at once. I want to start using boards more and pull 5 rods at once. I think I am going to save up and pick up a few more sealines. I really like them.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Oh Gary,

also I have been musky fishing for years. I don’t get a hundred days a year like some do. I haven’t harmed a musky yet and I don’t intend to start. I tried this a few times last year and ran Rap mags on there. I always worried a big ski would find the weekness or I would tire them.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I hear ya Kev!
    I was primarily posting the info that I did for the readers to pick up on!

Ya know another thought, that will actually work with this, is the “clip-on” line counters. They don’t work well at all for thin diameter lines, but for the big braids, they actually work pretty good!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Before I bought my big boat and used to row troll a lot, I used to use two methods of putting line back. Take the length of your rod (say 7′) and pull it ten times to get 70′, then do it five more times to get another 35′ and adjust accordingly.

The second method is a little slower, but the length of from your reel to your first guide is usually 2′, pull 20 times for 40′, then another set for 80′, etc.

Other guys measure the line left off the reel and then count the spool guide. Personally have never used this method, but I am sure it works. Good luck!!!

Mark

Whiskerkev
    Madison

That is a good Idea, One I wouldn’t have thought of in a million years.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Your welcome!!!

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.