Muskie Nuts Come on Home!!!!!!!!!!

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Here it is fellas, sent down from the heavens, a place for us Muskie Junkies to call home. I want to start it out right so here it goes. Bobby caught this fish last weekend while sturgeon fishing. I don’t know if it is a sucker, redhorse, or some other garden variety bottom biter, but

CHECK OUT THE TEETH MARKS!!!

From the angle of cuts it looks like the ski that had a hold of this bad boy but only got the end of her snout on it. Talk about a true bucket head!!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Man… JAWS of DEATH!

Not to side track your story but I have a cool tale about a muskie versus redhorse that needs telling!

My bro and I are canoing down the lower Zumbro 2 summers ago and we come to a long, slow stretch where the max depth is no more than 18″. The water clarity is so good the water might as not even been there. A guy could see the coloring on the crawfish claws as they poked their heads out from under their rock, to illustrate further.

To make a long story short… we got into this shallow stretch and come across a muskie drifting head first down stream about the speed of the current. This is a BIG muskie for this body of water… I’d guesstimate a mid-40 inch fish. Sideways in this fish’s mouth is a big redhorse. And it is still alive. About every 15 feet or so as this fish drifted along it would turn on its side and bang the head of the redhorse into the bottom in an attempt to kill it.

After 3 or 4 violent smashes into the bottom the redhorse was stunned enough to swallow.

That whole deal was VERY, VERY cool!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

James;
    I have two words for you………

THANK YOU!!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have two words for you…

Bite. Me.

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Finally.

James you just made a really bad day get better!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

That would have been a sight to see. A memory that will last a life time..

gary_wellman
    South Metro

no sir……don’t like it…….don’t like it at all!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Both you and Gary are welcome. Enjoy. Talk it up. I look forward to looking in and reading.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Hey all right!!!! Just in time for the season to start in a few days!!!

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Cool story James……Wish the season started here in a few days!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Your story James brings back memories of my “favorite” shallow slow moving river with some very large ski in it. Shallow with some deeper…up to 6-8’holes… I was casting some topwater working my way up to one of the holes that held a mid to upper 40’s fish and all of the sudden about 30 yards to the left I hear the water surface explode! I turn to see what appeared to be a LM Bass flopping on the shore and this big boy flopping back into the water. I have also witnessed a Musky trying to catch a swallow out of mid air below the Eau Claire Dam. The birds kept flying to and from their nests and they had to fly within feet of the water while the Musky tried to get his timing down. That one was rather comical to watch! Ok I’m done reminicing. Brad

timmy

Dan – Looking at that sucker…..presuming it was on the Rainy…….there is a good chance that those marks were inflicted by a monster pike. A pike of those proportions is more exciting to me………..

Tim

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Timmy might be right! I pulled a 24lb pike by Wheeler’s point, next to the wind sock a few years back and a buddy’s dad has a 29lb pike from the same area too!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Well whatever it was, it bit off more than it could chew.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Thanks to all who made this happen!! Can’t wait till opener Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.