Ambassadeur reels

• Patch
    Pool 7/8

I just recently received an abu garcia ambassadeur reel and have no idea what kind of rod to buy that will match it. Looking for fairly reasonable products. Tight lines!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

How about a little more info on what you’re using it for? Might get some different recommendations based on lure weight, ie musky vs pike lures.

For what it’s worth I use Ambassadeur 6500s for my Canadian pike set ups. My preferred actions are 6’6 or 7’0 medium heavy. One I like a faster tip for lighter baits and the other maybe a little more moderate tip for baits like 1oz spoons and 1.5oz bucktails.

This year I had to replace an older/cheaper rod and went to a St. Croix Premier 6’6″ MF. Worked out great! That said I wouldn’t spend more money than that. Reason is the presentations don’t require the utmost in sensitivity so why but a really sensitive and high dollar rod.

Good luck.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Yep, this reel will work fine as long as you don’t cast lures over 5oz or so. 80# braid and a heavy action rod is my recommendation. Tackle Industries, Tooth Tamer or Okuma EVX muskie rods in the $130-$150 range are really great for the money. I couldn’t recommend spending less without going used.

Patch
    Pool 7/8

Thanks a lot guys, I usually don’t throw real heavy baits so I’m not looking for anything longer than eight feet but I don’t want one that limits me to very small baits. Your information will be very helpful in my decision, thanks!

ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

I use Toothtamer Rods a lot. They have a lot of different blanks in different sizes and actions. I’d look into them. They have a few really nice 7’6″ sticks that you’d probably like.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.