Best 8 to 8-6 extra heavy rod for the money?

• Wadsworth

I need an 8 to 8-6 extra heavy musky rod for throwing double bucktails, but it won’t be the rod that I use most often, so I don’t want to spend a ton of money on one (I’d like to find one for under $100). What do you guys suggest?

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I just bought a 9′ telescoping Tackle Industries rod from Muskie Tackle online for $120. Free shipping !
    Looks like a pretty nice rod, can’t wait to start hucking!

Dream’n

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I’d step up your budget another 50-75$ and get a St. Croix premier. Great warranty and made in the USA Ive always found it funny that people say “this rod is just as good as a Croix” I can’t afford to buy a rod and find out later it’s not up to snuff. Spend a little more and buy a quality stick the first time

handy

St Croix for performance and warranty. Premier has longest warranty though next class down performs as well. All top quality rods, satisfied w/all 4 we have. Also have Garcia, Fenwick & off brands, but prefer Croix. Still using an “old faithful”, Musky Hunter from 1970.

big_head_basher

I have had Okuma’s, Tackle Industries, and Scheels brand rods for musky fishing. They have all been good rods for me. Scheels rods have a great warranty on them but my favorite rod is my tackle industries. I reccomend a 9′ rod but i would put each one in your hand and see which one fits best.

My oppinion is that i would go with another Tackle Industries rod but you really can’t go wrong with any one. I have 4 musky rods so I choose to go the cheaper route rather than the ST. Croix’s. But i’m sure there good rods too.

hunter991

Look at Tackle industries rods. Great rod for the price. Tooth tamer also makes a great rod for about $30 more.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I’d step up your budget another 50-75$ and get a St. Croix premier. Great warranty and made in the USA Ive always found it funny that people say “this rod is just as good as a Croix” I can’t afford to buy a rod and find out later it’s not up to snuff. Spend a little more and buy a quality stick the first time

I’m with Tim on this one. St. Croix is pretty much all I use, and they’ve never failed me

shaley
    Milford IA

Another vote for TI, my Croixs and Lommis are now mainly backups…

muskiefool

By far its the St. Croix Tournament Legend Big Dawg. if that thing ever breaks you’ll get a new one; not even the slightest bit of hassle.
    Last summer I snapped a Avid, I printed a fed ex shipping label off their site for $11.00, within 3 days I have a call telling they have bad news. Its broke and they cant replace it with another Avid so they will give me a Tourney Legend if I dont have a problem with that. 2 days later I have my new rod with warranty; lifetime warranty.

A friend just ordered a Chinese POS rod last week for 90 or 110 shipped, it got to him broken; now they say all the 8’6″ rods are back ordered..

Best for the money is St. Croix lowest price is something I have no experience with because I value my time on the water to the highest degree. I’m sure many have great experiences with a Asian product; god bless their hearts.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’ve owned and used just about everything out there…from custom high-end Diamondbacks, off-the-shelf Legend Tournaments, St Croix Premiers, various store label rods, the Tackle Industries lineup, etc. By and large they all get the job done.

There are some definite benefits of paying a lot of money for a rod, mostly in terms of how much the rod weighs. That being said, I’ve found that if the rod has the proper power and action to do what I need, I can handle a little more weight at 1/4 of the price.

I’ve settled on Black River Rods. Like all rods in the price range you’re looking at, they’re imported. Unlike some other brands the quality is carefully monitored – this is the key for any product whether it’s imported or domestic. They come with a great warranty and exceptional customer service.

I’ve had very good luck with them, and I like the different rod options to cover the range of lure choices. The 8’6″ XH is a very good stick for lots of uses including heavy bucktails and soft plastics.
    http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/23/page/1/id/2521/name/BlackRiverRods

ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

I use the Toothtamer 8’6″ heavy for my double 10’s, sometimes junior’s and supermodels. I use their medium heavy for showgirls and juniors. Great rods. Good feel, light and tough. I am on the water almost every day and I watch clients do things to them that make my hair fall out, and I haven’t had one break yet…. and they retail around $170… a little more than the original poster wanted but much more affordable than most rods out there.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have an Okuma that I like thats 8’6″ xh and I like it. I personally would save up and get a st croix though. By far the best rods mass produced. Im hoping to get into custom rods soon though.

Wadsworth

Thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up going with a Tooth Tamer.

sprint219

Lambeau…the expensive St. Croix rods are IMPORTED also! Don’t let St. Croix tell you otherwise!!! Show me a rod blank that is “manufactured” in the US and I will show you a $3 bill! St. Croix rods come from the same manufacturing facility as Black River Rods…which is in JAPAN.

For the money, I would buy Black River Rods all day long. If you want to overpay…buy a St. Croix.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Lambeau…the expensive St. Croix rods are IMPORTED also! Don’t let St. Croix tell you otherwise!!! Show me a rod blank that is “manufactured” in the US and I will show you a $3 bill! St. Croix rods come from the same manufacturing facility as Black River Rods…which is in JAPAN.

For the money, I would buy Black River Rods all day long. If you want to overpay…buy a St. Croix.

Care to provide proof of that?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

This isn’t accurate.

Mojo and EyeCon blanks are made in Mexico. All the high end blanks (Avid, Tournament Series, Legend Extreme, etc.) are all made in WI. You can tour the factory and watch the higher end rods being made from the ground up starting with flat sheets of graphite and other composites.

Now, when do I get a look-see at that $3 bill?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Care to provide proof of that?

Yeah, please do. Cause I dunno why they would have a factory if they don’t build anything in it.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’ve been to Park Falls, and they’re making St. Croix rods there everyday. And I’ll double-check, but I’m pretty sure that the Black River Rods which I favor are imported here from China, not Japan.

I understand the value of “Made in the USA” and I buy US-made when it’s sensible to do so. I’m wearing Duluth Trading Co jeans today that are made in the US; they cost 3 times the price of the same design jeans from the same company that are made overseas.

When it comes to buying rods, i’m not willing to pay triple or quadruple the price – but I do care a LOT about quality no matter where it’s made. I’ve been extremely happy with the Black River lineup, they do what we need them to do when tossing large lures and have the forgiveness to help keep muskies pinned.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up going with a Tooth Tamer.

I have two of their musky rods, and I have my eye on a pretty nice walleye rod they sell now too.
    Nice rods, good choice imho.

Al

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.