line counter question

• russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

I have always trolled with out the aid of a line counter and would like to add a counter as a tool to my arsenal. I know i will be able to place my raps at the same depth consistently when I do find that magic depth rather than guessing at how much line i have out. My question is….does anyone know of a device that I can attach to my baitcast reel/rod to accomplish this task with out adding another rod to my arsenal….the wife says i already have too many rods taking up space on the wall rack. I say what’s too many, but you know….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you’re really on a budget or don’t want to add rods and reels dedicated to trolling this gadget will get you by in a pinch.

web page

Ed BZ
    Amery, WI

You could also measure how much line come off the reel with each pass of the level wind. I also have a few set ups with metered line on them suffix brand. I think power pro came out with a metered line this year as well.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

bah!, line counter set ups are pretty cheap. i say you go out and get one if you want one she’ll never know

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Hey guys….thanks for the info. That Berkley line counter is a cool idea. I totally forgot about metered line. I do like the buy a set up anyways….Garage logic “That old thing….that’s been in the garage for years”

stevenoak

I tried the Berkley line counter.Once,and it went to the sportsmans auction.If you have a rod I would say cabelas depthmaster gold or diawa sealine.Stay away from regular depthmaster and accudepth.Cabelas has golds and combos on sale about half the time 30-40 for reel or under 80 for a combo.Also check bargain cave.If you come to troll a lot start a $180 piggy bank for a Takota.Bad news for the “garage Logic”Cabelas combo is brite yellow and looks like Big Bird standing in the corner.What ever you decide trolling is a great way to locate fish a large part of the year.Just don’t save so much you spend the day fighting junk.Good used would be another option.Good luck

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Cabelas sells some line counter reels pretty cheap.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Cabelas has the Walleye weekend or something like that this weekend, it might be a good day tomorrow to run to Rogers store take in some of the seminars to pick the brain of guys like Tony Roach to see his set ups and take advantage of the sale going on….Or the honor the sale price online right now as well..

Line Counter combos on sale…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Interesting post. I don’t know that I have ever seen a muskie fisherman (or show) using line counter reels while trolling for muskies. Or if they were using a line counter reel, it wasn’t for the line counter, it was the only reel they had.

Most of the muskie trolling I’ve done is either shallow or around structure and I haven’t seen the need for a line counter reel. Am I missing something?

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Quote:

Cabelas has the Walleye weekend or something like that this weekend, it might be a good day tomorrow to run to Rogers store take in some of the seminars to pick the brain of guys like Tony Roach to see his set ups and take advantage of the sale going on….Or the honor the sale price online right now as well..

Line Counter combos on sale…

Totally forgot about this being this weekend. Saw the email in my inbox last week and it slipped my mind.

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Quote:

Interesting post. I don’t know that I have ever seen a muskie fisherman (or show) using line counter reels while trolling for muskies. Or if they were using a line counter reel, it wasn’t for the line counter, it was the only reel they had.

Most of the muskie trolling I’ve done is either shallow or around structure and I haven’t seen the need for a line counter reel. Am I missing something?

I am thinking for deep water mid summer pike once the water temps towards the shallow water starts to creep up and they retreat to deeper cooler water.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

I went into Thorne Brothers 3-4 years ago looking for a good set up for trolling for large Pike and Muskie. When I left I had a new Shimano Tekota line counter reel. By far and away the best reel I have ever owned……..period.

Like others have said don’t skimp on the equipment. Get something that will hold up if you hook that fish of a lifetime.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.