Eskimo Outbreak vs. Otter Vortex

• red89
    Hudson

Thinking about getting a hub/pop-up shack to take the family out in. Considering the Eskimo Outbreak 650xd or Otter Vortex resort as comparable options. Seems like the only thing the Eskimo has over the otter is the no trip door, which actually may be a pretty nice feature. The otter has a few more options like the beacon light,rod holder pockets, and propane hose port. Anybody have any experience with these? I think they are both the newest models each company offers so probably not a ton of people have them. The Eskimo is completely sold out everywhere, and maybe not available until February I read. Looks like I may be able to find the otter, but stock on those is sparse too.

Any other clam, frabill, etc. shacks I should consider instead?

The 650xd and resort models are probably bigger than we really need for 3 of us, but thought the space would be nice and maybe would do an overnight camping on the ice someday so would need room for cots.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not familiar with either exact model but I have a what they call 4 man otter 2 years old I think and it is better quality than my buddies eskimo but both are nice. The otter seems to hold heat better. You are making the right decision in going bigger than you think you need it gets small in there once you drill holes and set up chairs.

gonehunting

Don’t rule out the Clam X400 thermal hub. Quality construction. Nice material and strong zippers. Nice big bag. If you need bigger look at the X600 which is even bigger.

Attachments:
    1. 85FEE1A9-8408-4DBE-9CFF-FB7CBF31F5E3.jpeg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The no trip door on the Eskimo is awesome. I finally fished in one with a guy from town and it’s nice if you are in and out or have kids. If you tip up fish a lot or your kids are a bit clumsy in gear, the door would be great. Beyond that specific feature, I’d go with the Otter on just about everything else.

I have the Otter Lodge and the features are the same minus the size of your questioned model. I like the grey interior on the Otter better and the Otter holds heat a little better. The Otter bag seemed easier to get the shack into too and felt like it’d be more durable. The rod holder pockets inside are there, but I wouldn’t really imagine myself actually putting rods in them. They’re a bit useless. The ceiling mesh pocket holds plenty of weight and if you use a 20# propane tank the openings for the hose are nice.

red89
    Hudson

Actually looks like the Otter resort is completely out of stock everywhere also.

I wonder if there will be any deals this spring like usual or if because of the high demand there just wont be anything left. I never pay full price, so would like to wait for a sale.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I got a otter resort and love it. Besides not liking hubs very much. But when I’m with 3 or 4 people its plenty roomy in there. And I camp in it

Doug M
    SE SD

I got a new outbreak this year. Although it is the small one, I chose it over other models exclusively because of the no trip door. Had it out last weekend and not having to step over anything on the way out to get to a tipup was real nice!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Actually looks like the Otter resort is completely out of stock everywhere also.

I wonder if there will be any deals this spring like usual or if because of the high demand there just wont be anything left. I never pay full price, so would like to wait for a sale.

Check Reeds, I just ordered the otter resort Sunday and was at my house Tuesday afternoon. (Web page says it has stock on the lodge and eskimo 450, don’t see them carrying the resort or 650 though) Obviously haven’t used it yet but set it up in the driveway and seemed nice, took longer to read the instructions than actually set it up. I was in the same boat, my flip over was no longer big enough for the three of us, this will definitely fit with room to spare. Plan to go give it a rest run on the little lake in town this weekend.

Wildlifeguy

I run a previous gen Eskimo Fatfish 6120i. Three years in without a problem, use it for camping for spring opener as well, camped on the ice too. Only complaint at 6’4″ is the tiny doors. Buddy just picked up the 650, it’s seems its even a touch bigger than mine, and while I haven’t had the chance to try out the door, I imagine its gonna make me want to upgrade. Honestly though, I’ve owned Otter, and have friends with both Otter hubs and Clam. You won’t go wrong with any, though my preference would be Eskimo, Otter, and Clam in that order. I’d steer clear from Frabill.

red89
    Hudson

For Reeds, did you order off their site or call and they happened to have one? I tried ordering the eskimo 650 from Joe’s sporting goods since it showed available on their website, but got an email the next morning that they didn’t have any.

Wildlifeguy

Don’t know if you have an anti-online bias but I did find this on Amazon.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210108-230414_Amazon-Shopping.jpg

Wildlifeguy

It’s not listed as such, but in the purchase tab it comes up as Outbreak 650xdi

red89
    Hudson

If that is USD, that is $300+ over priced. I saw a few of those when I was searching.

Brian

I have the 650xd from reeds bought it mid December from Reeds. Love it.

B-man

Call Reeds in Onamia

The had a bunch of shacks in the store when I was there yesterday. Not exactly what ones, but there wasn’t a shortage.

Wildlifeguy

Oh I don’t doubt it, but it was the only one I saw. Highway robbery.

tornadochaser

I bought the Eskimo 450 XD on saturday morning. I LOVE the no step door. I had my 9 year old daughter out and my buddy had his girls out too on saturday afternoon, the kids were going in and out all day and nobody tripped over a door or gear. Super warm, easy to set up. My only complaint is the ice anchors eskimo supplies are made from a fairly soft metal and can bend easily.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I bought the Eskimo 650XD from marine general in Duluth, cheaper than anywhere around including reeds. Also I ordered it on a monday and had it on tuesday, didn’t even have a tracking number in my email before it showed up at my place. The no trip door is a huge selling point for me with kids and I plan to use it elk hunting.

nu98walleye

I’ve had an Otter Resort for 3 years now and would still be my choice if i were to buy again. No issues with poles or hubs & the zippers still work great. Hard to find anything bad about them besides the rod holders are basically pointless. Mesh up top is nice for gloves/stocking caps etc… but not the best for a heavy coat. IMO the best hub if your fishing on a windy day. Eskimo no trip doors would be nice to have tho!!

always get a size bigger than you think you’ll need. i usually only fish 2 out of my resort and the extra room is nice!

red89
    Hudson

I bought the Eskimo 650XD from marine general in Duluth, cheaper than anywhere around including reeds. Also I ordered it on a monday and had it on tuesday, didn’t even have a tracking number in my email before it showed up at my place. The no trip door is a huge selling point for me with kids and I plan to use it elk hunting.

I did see they have it for $499.99, so about $30 cheaper than most. Their website and every other website says out of stock though.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am shopping for a large hub this year and thought I would bring this thread back to life. I have it down to the Eskimo Outbreak 650XD (52 lb) or Otter Vortex Pro Resort (64 lb). I Like that the Eskimo has 3 doors but the Otter is a little larger with 9 extra square feet of room. I can’t seam to find a floor print for the Eskimo. The Eskimo would be easer to connect multiple houses together with the extra doors. They both now have no trip doors.

I will be using this for 4 to 6 people and sleeping on the ice a couple of nights. Or sleeping on the ice if I go day fishing with Bearcat. It will also come in handy when I host the Scout on ice trip I am planning for the little ones.

3Rivers

There are a couple of key differences between the 2 that you might want to research before making a decision.

Ceiling Height (a couple inches can make a big difference)
    Eskimo 84″
    Otter 82″

Collapsed Length (think of how you will be transporting it)
    Eskimo 75″
    Otter 73″

Weight (this is a big one if pulling by hand or solo handling)
    Eskimo 54lbs
    Otter 64lbs

I give window design and layout to Eskimo and insulation to Otter.

Eskimo was the first to offer the full door and will probably have an edge on design revisions and hiccups.

Wildlifeguy

Do yourself a favor and look at the double hubs instead. 4-6 will be tight in a single hex style, and in my opinion the floorplan is better for ice camping, because you can set up a “gear side” and a “fishing side”. I have both an 850xd, and the 6120 which is equivalent size wise to the 650. I find myself using the big one, even with the extra set up hassle, which isn’t as bad as you think, every time.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have the 650 XD and love it but if your thinking for three people I would opt for the 850 if you can afford it. 3 People with all your gear could get a little tight in the 650.

Overall though the things I like about this shelter are:

Easy to set up and take down by yourself. I use the adapter for the spikes to my drill… would suggest that. The bag is easy to get the shelter back into even with the bottom sometimes iced up.

Shelter comes with nice spikes and straps for tying down. I have gotten into the habit of tying it down every time since it does not take much extra time and in higher winds the straps make huge difference.

On top of the no step door the ceiling height is awesome for standing.

Plenty of interior pockets for gear and then there is netting in ceiling for coats and other clothing items.

I run my heater through the secondary exit or under the shelter when I hook up to propane tank. I also use a sunflower attachment so no hose is needed.

Really can’t say anything negative about it I am sure there is an easy way to install lights but I have the one that hangs from ceiling that has a light and fan on it to keep air circulating.

Good luck I don’t think you can go wrong with either of the ones your looking at.

3Rivers

The bag is easy to get the shelter back into even with the bottom sometimes iced up.

I really like a lot of things about the Eskimo and recommend it for sure, but I completely disagree with this. The stuff type bag is nearly impossible to use, especially in below zero temps. It’s easily the biggest knock for me with the 650XD. An oversized duffle type bag with an extra heavy duty zipper would be a welcome addition. Honestly, I gave up using the bag and just cinch it up the best I can and toss it in the truck box.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Check out the houses at the ice show in Dec. and you will get 20% off if you go cash you can get more off the sale price.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Whatever you decide, keep an eye on the Black Friday advertisements. I believe my Otter Vortex Lodge was like $240. I realize prices have gone crazy, but there’s no way I’d pay the “new” full prices of well over $500 for a mid-sized thermal hub.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.