Transducer questions

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I want to add another depth finder to my boat. My question is will I get interfearnce with 2 transducers in the boat? I want to mount them inside the hull with a pod transducer epoxied to the bottom. Will I have to get different frequencys ? Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem.

Do you have to have a seperate transducer for each depth Finder? One is an HDS 7 and the other is an X135.

Thanks ironhead.

sandmannd

If you are going to run them bot off the same point of the boat, then it’s pointless to use two of them as you will be getting the same info and causing interference. I run one off the back of the boat for the finder on my counsel. The other is connected to my Terrova so I see what’s at the front of the boat.

To answer your question, if you run them next to each other, you will have interference.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I don’t know the freq off the top of my head, but I’m 99% sure you will have interference. No matter where you mount them , ideally still the further away the better.

But I wouldn’t sweat it too much, first off you will generally use one unit only when moving, so you shouldn’t have any interference then, and when you are fishing in a spot do you really need 2? Maybe, but usually I’m up in front on the TM, and to minimize the interference for who ever is in back, I turn the ping rate down on that unit and it pretty much eliminates the interference I see, you may see some, but it won’t affect you, and the person in back can at least see the depth probably not as much detail on fish arches, but workable.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

The boat came with the X135 inthe dash and a PD-WBL transducer inside at the rear next to the transom. I moved the X135 up to the bow and put THE HDS-7 in the dash. I was under the inpression that each d.finder has to have its own tranducer. I will only use the front one when I am using the trolling motor but want to leave them both on at the same time.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

If you mount them on either side of the transom, they will work ok untill you get deep enough fore the transducer cones to cross. I would guess up to 20′ you are good and probably deeper. If you go across a 60′ hole you will have a problem.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Does the X135 have an ethernet port on it? If it does, you can connect both head units via ethernet and you can then share the same transducer.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Most transducers emit multiple frequencies, especially when you are using a side imaging unit. I would have thought that as long as you choose different frequencies it would have been ok?

mojogunter

Even if you get some interference it isn’t too bad. It shows up on mine as some vertical lines on the screen, but you can still see what you need to without any trouble. I have a HB 1197 and a lowrance 520. The 1197 is better than the 520 but like I said you can read both just fine.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

John, I will have to check on that when I get home tonight, I am not sure. That would be nice if it did. Other wise I think I will put the other one towards the front of the boat because I will only use the X135 when I am trolling and most of the boat will be in the water.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Just a quick update. Just got off the phone with Lowrance. They said I will have to have another transducer in the boat. The reps name was Craig and he was very helpful. He said the PD-WBL transducer that is in the boat now will run the HDS-7 just fine. I will put in another PD-WBL for the X135 and it has to run on 200KH. I will have to go in to the HDS-7 and set the original one for 83KH and he said there will be not interferance problems.

Thanks for all of the great info

Ironhead

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.