Help me choose Eyecon/Mojo (today)

• mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I have a coupon for 20 off 100 at Gander that expires today. With the coupon and free shipping I am thinking of getting a new rod. I know I waited to the last minute.

I know this subject has been discussed before, but if anybody has any advice today it would be appreciated. The rod will primarily be used to pitch light jigs into local lake/reservoirs. 2-7 ft of water, no current. 1/16 to 1/8 jigs with nightrawlers, leaches, and plastic. In most situations it will probably be a 1/16 jig with a crawler or 1/8 with plastic. Mono line (Berkley Sensation) I am down to three rods. I really would prefer the eyecon (not purple with bass on it) however base on prior posts it seems the Mojo 69mlxf might me the ticket.

The three rods are the eyecon 68mxf or 66mlf, or the Mojo Bass 69mlxf.

My concern with the 68mxf is I am rarely going to use a jig over 1/8 but I am going to use mono.

I am not close to anyone who has them in stock to “feel” them so I would be going blind.

Next year I will probably get an Avid, but not in the budget right now.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Matt, I have fished the Mojo 69MLXF on Pool 4 with finesse jigs, both plastics and minnows and I wasn’t impressed. I also have spent some time at St. Croix’s Park Falls facility examining the Eyecons… I put a reel/line on them and, given your scenario I would consider the ECE 70 MLF, ECE 66 MLF, although the 68 MXF is not quite as fast(stiff) as the Avid version and would work great with plastics or baited jigs. IMHO The Mojo 69MLXF is a bass action dropshot rod and fishes “slow” for a finesse walleye jig rod.

The 7 footer would give you more casting distance, allow you to “drag jigs” better and be able to Lindy Rig etc… with bait. Try some 6# braid on that rod and you will be pleasantly suprised with the results for light jigs on Walleye.

Bassn Dan

The 6’8″ MXF will be fine with mono and the 1/16 oz. jigs if you match it with a larger spooled reel like a 7430 Pflueger Arbor to improve the rod’s casting distance. If you plan to use a smaller spooled reel, a 7′ MLF rod with braid would be a better choice.

Dan

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I think I would go with the eyecon 7′ MLF for casting small baits and jigs. Its too bad they don’t make the 6’9″ mlxf in the eyecon series because that would be a great option. I don’t have one yet but I am looking at getting the 7’6″ ML for lindy riging and float fishing.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Thanks guys, that is what you call timely feedback. I was actually hoping you would say the eyecon. The 7mlf is on the way. I like that idea alot as it will hopefully be replaced by an avid and then I can use it as a rigging/dragging rod.

It will be fitted with a president 6730 with fireline on one spool and sensation on the other.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Sounds like all you need is open water and walleyes Matt!

When you are ready for that Avid, consider this…save up $40 more dollars and upgrade to a Legend Tournament Walleye series rod…

You get the same Integrated Poly Curve® (IPC®) tooling technology of the Avid PLUS…Advanced Reinforcing technology™ (ART™) AND High-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite. The same type rod will be lighter, faster and more sensitive/responsive…

The next levels…Elite & Extreme are quite a bit more cash but the jump from Avid to LTW, IMHO, is the best for the bucks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.