muskie MOJO rods

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Was at Cabelas.
    Played around a bit with the 8′ MH St. Croix Muskie MOJO rod.

Seems like a decent rod for the price.
    Anyone have one? Yes? No?

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Nice rod, only 5 year warranty. Look at the Shimano Compre Muskie rod. Same money, basically same quality but a lifetime warranty.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good observation JC…I felt the Compre was an equal quality rod to the Mojo also…but I believe the Croix warrantee works out just as well, considering they don’t care if you misuse the rod…and you will get the full retail cost of the broken rod if you wish to upgrade that rod to any other level of rod.

The Shimano rods have a Limited Lifetime Warrantee…
    The Limited Lifetime Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

I.E. if you break it by stepping on it etc… it is not covered. They do not give you full retail on an upgrade for a rod you ran over with your truck… just a thought…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Tom,
    I’m not reading what you are saying at the St. Croix website.
    Actually, just the opposite of what you said.
    Am I miss reading this?

Quote:

We will promptly repair or replace ( (at our option) your rod or rod blank free of charge if it becomes damaged due to defective materials or workmanship for a period of five (5) years. This warranty period begins from your date of purchase, provided you complete a warranty registration form within 30 days. A registration form is attached to each new rod, or you may complete your warranty registration on our web site. If you do not register your warranty, then the warranty period begins on the date we built your rod/blank. This Service Policy applies to the original owner only and may not be transferred to another person.

We reserve the right to replace a discontinued model with a current model of our choosing. Rods/blanks with expired warranties or rods/blanks that have become damaged due to normal wear, accident, misuse or neglect may be repaired or replaced for a reasonable charge. If this cost exceeds 20.00, then St. Croix will advise you of this cost and await your approval prior to proceeding.

Damaged rods/blanks should be returned directly to the St. Croix Service Center. St. Croix dealers are not authorized to perform service work on behalf of St. Croix. You must return the entire rod, including broken parts, freight prepaid and insured, to the address below. Please include a note explaining the problem, along with 20.00 for return shipping and handling within the USA and Canada. International customers are responsible for the actual return shipping and insurance charges.

Plus, you have to pay $40 to ship the rod to/fro St. Croix instead of having “over the counter warranty”.

tom_gursky

Yes…the tackle shops in my area, like Dean, will gladly send the rod in for you…and St. Croix(Park Falls) will gladly do it over the counter.

Here is what the 5 yr and lifetime rods are covered by… I have personally had several clients, friends, and fellow IDOer turn in broken rods personally, though me, or through Dean (I won’t speak for Dean)…IMHO… several of these rods were broken by misuse (item #3)…(example)We stopped at Park Falls returning from Everts last Nov with a gent who broke his 2008 LE 68MXF pulling on a snag with 15# braided line until the rod snapped..they didn’t hassle him at all on whose fault it was. He walked out with a brand new one…

The $20 is to cover postage… I have never known St. Croix to deny repair/replacement, nor chg more than the Gold Star $50…

My point was I have not heard Shimano having these options…

If you are the owner…

1. Write a note explaining the problem. Send the note, a check for $20* and your entire rod to St. Croix. We suggest using our Discount Shipping Program, which is described elsewhere on this page.

2. If your rod was damaged due to faulty workmanship, then of course we will cover the cost of the repair or replacement during the warranty period.

3. However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.

* The $20 charge applies to USA and Canadian customers, only. The charge for shipments to all other countries is $30 .

Acceptable methods of payment include personal check (drawn on a USA bank account) and credit card (VISA, MC, American Express, Discover).

GOLD STAR SERVICE PLAN

Ahh..but what if you’re not registered as the original owner of the rod. Or your buddy stepped on your rod, or slammed it in a car door, or worse yet, used it to free a snag. No worries. St. Croix’s Gold Star Plan eliminates the uncertainty of a dubious warranty claim. Here’s what to do.

1. Return your damaged rod to St. Croix. Use our Discount Shipping Program to save money.

2. Include a note requesting our Gold Star Service, along with a check for $50 to cover the repair or replacement of your rod. Our Technician will determine whether to repair or replace your rod keeping in mind we’ll only repair it if we can make it perform like new.

3. That’s all there is to it. And there’s no additional s&h charge for customers in the USA. Canadian customers must pay an additional $20 for s&h, and all other International customers must pay an additional $30 for s&h.

Acceptable methods of payment include personal check (drawn on a USA bank account) and credit card (VISA, MC, American Express, Discover).

GOLD STAR + UPGRADE PLAN

Understandably, you’re feeling pretty badly about your damaged `Croix. So why not make the best of a bad situation and treat yourself to that higher-performance model you’ve been dreaming about? With our Upgrade Plan, you receive a brand new rod with a fresh new warranty. Here’s how you do it.

1. Return your damaged rod to St. Croix. Use our Discount Shipping Program to save money.

2. Include a check equal to $50 plus the cost difference between the price of your new rod and that of your damaged one. It’s best to telephone a St. Croix Customer Service Representative at 800-826-7042 (select Service Center), or e-mail at [email protected] for assistance in determining the exact price.

3. That’s all there is to it. And there’s no additional s&h charge for customers in the USA. Canadian customers must pay an additional $20 for s&h, and all other International customers must pay an additional $30 for s&h.

Thanks, Tom

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Understood Tom,
    However the verbiage is the same and Shimano offers over the counter exchange which saves $40 shipping.
    Therefore Shimano’s warranty is lifetime and Mojo is 5 year. Both are good! However, Shimano appears better.

Overall though, I really liked the balance and form of this 8′ rod for slinging bucktails. Looking for reviews or a comparable rod at a comparable price.

tom_gursky

Understood Gary…

1)If there is not a Shimano dealer close by…as in my area (200 mile round trip) Does Shimano offer free shipping to send the rod in and get it back?
    2)Can you opt to purchase an upgraded Shimano rod minus full cash amount for the damaged rod? As with St. Croix…

Just curious…

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

The Shimano warranty is the best in the business.

Send the rod with note, a new rod shows up in about 10 days.

No questions asked, no stupid $40 fees, no attempt to up-sell you, etc.

Trust me, I have used it.

Dog

tom_gursky

Quote:

The Shimano warranty is the best in the business.

Send the rod with note, a new rod shows up in about 10 days.

No questions asked, no stupid $40 fees, no attempt to up-sell you, etc.

Trust me, I have used it.

Dog

Thats really great Grouse… I wasn’t aware of that and I would guess not too many other brands out there can match that…

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.