Hydrofoil & Stabilizers

• igotone

Need help again from the great guys that know here on IDO

Has any one try this one or is there something better I should B looking at?

The edge

I got a 200XRi Merc on a warrior boat

Also would like 2 know about raising motor

Right now I’m on the top holes

I am not getting the RPM’s that i would like 2 see

While running WOT I can not see the plate that this would mount on

Any help would b nice

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I would agree that you should give raising the motor a shot. It’s actually pretty easy, or should be. I did this on my Crestliner last year and my RPMs did rise a bit. I will say I did not get the results I was expecting, but it did help. The thing I learned was that you won’t know what it’ll do for each boat until you actually give it a try. Just make sure you use lots of sealant when putting it back together.

As for the hyrdofoil, I’ve also seen some boats really benefit from having one, while others did not. I’ve had good luck with the SE series. One that I would not recommend is the Stingray. Have had them break on me and generally not perform as well as the SE series.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I do have experience with hydrofoils and smart tabs. My general experience is hydrofoils work well on small boats with smaller engines but can cause some problems on larger boats. Generally speaking there are better solutions such as a prop change or smart tabs. If you have issues with bow rise and/or purpoising I would recommend smart tabs, although a change in prop alone may help.

My understanding (not experience) is that you should raise the engine prior to messing with anything else, however raising the engine may not yield the results you want without a prop change. Some props run better than others high just under the surface.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

What RPM’s are yougetting ot WOT trimed up?

igotone

Quote:

What RPM’s are yougetting ot WOT trimed up?

I’m at 5100 and can trim all the way to tilt if I what
    Just shooting bigger rooster with no more rpm’s or speed

Motor is an 200XRi with max rpm’s of 5800

I am running a 23 pitch tempest prop
    Have also had a 24 on speed and rpm’s are real close

But I get less slippage with the 23″ and a little better cruising speed

Cruising speed is what I’m more after since it takes less gas
    But I what best all around performance that I can receive

I figure getting to max RPM’s will B a good place to start

Thanks again 4 any input

cdn
    West Central, MN

Quote:

I got a 150 Merc on a warrior boat

Quote:

Just curious which hp motor you have.
    What size Warrior?

If you have a 150, 23 Tempest is your problem. That’s a big prop. I’d jump down to a 21 pitch and see how it works.

I have a 23P Trophy Plus 4 blade on my 175 xri Skeeter 18′ and I easily reach 5800 RPMs trimmed. I’m quite happy with the 4 blade, so I’m sticking with it. I wouldn’t put a 23P Tempest on this combo, I’d go to a 21P. The Tempest is a large diameter prop, so dropping it down in size is recommended.

ted-merdan

21 or 19p tempest will get your r’s where they should be and help your holshot. take out vent plugs for additional hole-shot help.

As far as hydrofoils go the edge is the best and IS recommended for high hp boats. Many of the skeeter and ranger owners use them to help with holeshot, porposing, and staying on plane at much lower speeds. I personally installed them on three different rangers with Yamaha F250’s – one 620 and two 621’s with great results.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-ted

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s a thread from my experiences with a foil on my 1950 w/225HP.

web page

igotone

Quote:

Quote:

I got a 150 Merc on a warrior boat

Quote:

Just curious which hp motor you have.
    What size Warrior?

If you have a 150, 23 Tempest is your problem. That’s a big prop. I’d jump down to a 21 pitch and see how it works.

I have a 23P Trophy Plus 4 blade on my 175 xri Skeeter 18′ and I easily reach 5800 RPMs trimmed. I’m quite happy with the 4 blade, so I’m sticking with it. I wouldn’t put a 23P Tempest on this combo, I’d go to a 21P. The Tempest is a large diameter prop, so dropping it down in size is recommended.

sorry about that it is a 200XRi
    on a 1891

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.