Mercury XRi / EFI motors

• igotone

Need 2 know if it is Ok 2 run gas out of an 1995 Mercury 200 XRi EFI motor

Any input on what the other IDO guys do 4 keeping EFI fuel system clean and winterizing would B much appreciated

Or is it like a fuel pump that should not be run out?

I know 4 diesel pumps it is not good to let them run out as it can take the pump out.

I know my carb 150 and 115 mercury’s I would unhook gas line an run them till motor stop. I would do this if I knew it would B a week or more before I would use it again.

It was a good way 2 keep the carbs clean and great for winterizing also keep the gas from expanding and leaking down the front of the motors

I have done this for the last 20 years

Just hook up, pump the blub and they would fire right up

Never ever had a carb issue with those motors either.

Thanks in advance 4 any input on this

cdn
    West Central, MN

I own a 175 XRi. For the past 6 years I fill the tanks with fuel, put appropriate amount of Stabil in the gas (I add a little seafoam also), run the engine to get the treated fuel into the motor and shut it down.

I wouldn’t recommend running this motor out of fuel. I re-built my fuel pump once and it wasn’t fun.

A shot of fogging oil into the cylinders for winterization is a good idea too.

My motor fires up every spring and always runs well.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I have a 99 175 EFI, just about 1/2 tank of gas and a can of Seafoam and give it one last run on the river before the boat gets tucked away for the winter (change lower unit lube also) and she fires up every spring on the first crank every time. There’s been years where my springs have been so busy that I have not had time to get the boat out for a quick run to address any problems before heading to MN for Opener, just back her in on Saturday AM and off she goes, I just shake my head and say “wow”

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I treat the gas and change out the fuel filter each fall. No problems.

-J.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.