Boat seat suspension systems

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I am looking to install some type of Boat seat suspension system and was wondering what types may be out there, some thing to ease the ride in rough water.

jdccory
    Lake Superior

DTWH,

I installed a pair of Smooth Moves seats in my Triton and couldn’t be happier with the results. 95% of my boating and fishing is on Lake Superior and Chequamegon Bay, where it seems the wind is always blowing on the way out or the way home. These seats have several inches of travel, are adjustable and very well made. I’ve used them for over a year, many times in very rough water, and they are great. Check out their website.

jdc

brett-king

DTWH,

I would be happy to answer any questions you have on any type of suspension as I have dealt with all of them.I shoot straight and I do not sugar coat anything as my goal is for you to totally understand what you are getting up front before any money is spent.I do believe that the Smooth Moves suspension is by far the best one on the market for performance and durablility.There is alittle give and take to suspensions which I can explain on the phone but the benefits far out weigh the downfalls.Give me a shout anytime at 507-456-4130 and we will decide if they are right for you and your rig.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The first time I saw a Smooth Move was in Bill Cadwell’s boat. He was sitting in the SM while being pulled out of the river. His trailer tires hit the end of the landing ramp and the trailer and the boat jumped. I could see the seat absorb the bounce. That was 7ish years ago. Bill still has a bad back and still has his Smooth Moves.

Brad Juaire got them for his wife too for reference.

If they are right for you and Brett will tell you if they aren’t, they are an amazing piece of equipment that will give you more pleasure out of your boat.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Smooth moves for me! These are the main reason I’m still running a tin boat, without them i would have upgraded to a glass boat. Wonderful product, next boat will have them as well.

Jami

arklite881south

I have a smooth move seat mount in the Captains chair, and so far love it!!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

for do it your selfers, one of the members has been using tractor seat suspension systems from Tractor Supply Co. From the testimony I have heard they work great. and can be used in a little smaller boat than store boughts.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

I installed the “Shock Master seat suspension system” last winter. I haven’t had the opportunity to really test them out but the cost is reasonable and installation was simple. They are a relatively new product, just google them up and you will find info and reports on them. At least it’s another choice.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I highly recomend that you give Brett a shout to discuss all of your options.

WAT
    AUSTIN MN Cass Lake

Brett,put two smooth moves in my 619 and I am happyer than a pocket gopher in fresh dirt,

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

DTWH,

I installed a pair of Smooth Moves seats in my Triton and couldn’t be happier with the results. 95% of my boating and fishing is on Lake Superior and Chequamegon Bay, where it seems the wind is always blowing on the way out or the way home. These seats have several inches of travel, are adjustable and very well made. I’ve used them for over a year, many times in very rough water, and they are great. Check out their website.

jdc

Brett makes a great seat! I have 2 and love them.

Nitrodog

I also have two of the smooth moves seats. They are great, I will never own another boat without them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I installed an adjustable gas pedastel in mine more than 10 years ago and it still works fine. I gotta believe this is the cheapest way to go.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I installed an adjustable gas pedastel in mine more than 10 years ago and it still works fine. I gotta believe this is the cheapest way to go.

The Smooth Moves mount offer some noticeable advantages over factory installed air rides, particularly for us larger guys.

The air pedestals aren’t adjustable for weight of the rider. Heavier guys bottom out in rough conditions defeating the purpose. I know I weigh 235# and an air pedestal is all but useless for me in anything over 2’ waves.

As for durability… someone will need to let me know the brand they’re running if they’ve had good luck keeping one in working condition because I’ve tried most of them (Springfields have been in most of my boats) and they all end the same way. I blow out the air bladders in a couple months, tops, with most of them “popping” in the first couple uses. I’ve never had one last more than 3 months.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

noticeable

I’m thinking that’s a HUGE understatement!

I have the Lund factory air ride. Had I known then what I know now, I would never have spent the money. However they are much less expensive.

Could be I just don’t know how to operate it perhaps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I get it. I know the SM is the better product but sometimes a guy cant afford the Cadilac and can get by just fine with a Chevy.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I get it. I know the SM is the better product but sometimes a guy cant afford the Cadilac and can get by just fine with a Chevy.

Hey, I like cheap. Love cheap. Cheap beer. Cheap clothes. I just can’t keep the air pedestals under me and functioning.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I agree with James about the air rides,sometimes when I hit a wave just right, it feels like hitting a concrete floor flat on my back. My only concern with the Smooth moves is the amount of room they look like they take up.
    Thanks for the information guys..I’ll look up Bret when I get back in town next week.

They do take some additional room behind the seat but Brett has installed these seats in bass boats so 99% of the time it isn’t an issue in our deep V walleye style boats. The part that gave me confidence in ordering a set last year was Brett had installed so many of these seats he knew exactly what to expect out of putting them in my 1950 as he had done it before a number of times. I actually video’d him installing those seats. I should post that. It took him 30 minutes to do both sides.

jdccory
    Lake Superior

For my installation, Brett supplied a plate that was pre-drilled to fit the original seat mounting bolts. The plate extended the “new” seat position backward to offset the fact that the suspension system moves the boat seat forward. My seats still swivel 360 degrees and slide fore and aft like the original seats. I was also worried that they appeared pretty bulky in the photos, but I’ve been very happy with the installation. That said, the Triton 215X is a large, roomy boat to begin with. jdc

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Another vote for smooth moves. Brett helped me install them and they have been great since the day I put them in for my crappy back…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.