Need suggestions – Motor Starting Issue

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I have a 1997 Johnson 150HP VRO two-stroke 6cyl with an intermittant starting issue. Sometimes it pops right off and the next time you can run the battery down and not get it started. I thought it could have something to do with my 15HP plumbing so I took the Tee out and put the kicker on a six gal. remote and that didn’t help. Once started it stays running and runs great.Yesterday at the ramp it wouldn’t start and ran the battery down. I fiddled withe the kill switch taking the clip off and on and used jumper cables from other battery and then it started. The next time I tried to start it it wouldn’t go again. I messed with the kill switch again and that didn’t help. I moved to a few close spots to fish with the kicker and tried again when it was time to quit and the it started. Normally though it seems that it starts best if it isn’t very long since it was shut off. I replaced the electronic module a few years ago. Has anyone had a similar problem with a Johnson or Rude like this? If anyone has ideas for me to check I’ll appreciate it. The dealer is busy and can’t get me in for about three weeks and with my luck it will start fine when he sees it.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Are you possibly losing prime because of a bad bulb to your main motor. Are you repriming after it sits for awhile?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Are you possibly losing prime because of a bad bulb to your main motor. Are you repriming after it sits for awhile?

I would start with the primer bulb pump it up and try and start it. It sounds like an electrical issue. It could be ignition switch, kill switch, nuetral start switch, I would also check the starter selenoid wires make sure all conections are tight and clean. Check all the connections under the hood for loose or curosion.
    Intermitent problems suck to find.

Good luck

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

I agree with electrical problem, next time it happens move your shifter,you already have done the kill switch, could even be in the key switch, There is a loose wire some where.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Had a similar problem with the 2000 Johnson I had. Got progressively worse, till wouldn’t start at all. Ended up being shorted wiring in the key switch, which basically put it in the kill mode. Easy fix after lots of aggravation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.