trailer bearings?

• sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

I am looking to get a couple hub assy for my boat so that if the unthinkable happens I can just pull off the bad assy and slide on the new. Problem I have is in the past I would give a trailer place the name and number on the hub and all was good. This time I have given a few people this “DICO 45264” and it seems as though no one can cross reference it? It is on a Shorelander Boat trailer. Any trailer experts out there?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I am looking to get a couple hub assy for my boat so that if the unthinkable happens I can just pull off the bad assy and slide on the new. Problem I have is in the past I would give a trailer place the name and number on the hub and all was good. This time I have given a few people this “DICO 45264” and it seems as though no one can cross reference it? It is on a Shorelander Boat trailer. Any trailer experts out there?

Perhaps this can help.
    http://www.shorelander.com/pages/o_e_tc_service.aspx

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Fleet Farm has complete hub kits for around 40 bills-many different axle sizes available.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Northern Tool has complete hubs on sale. Hubs on sale
    Just find and match your axel dia, my Shorelander trailer is 1 1/16.
    Good Luck,
    Ron

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Looks like 1 1/16″ outside and 1 3/8″ inside but now I have someone telling me that shorelaner has special hubs? UG why cant things just be easy….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Also keep in mind, you have about an 80% chance of wrecking the spindle when you lunch a bearing. Loose a tire and drag the spindle down the road for any amount of time, a new hub and bearing kit is of little value. Even if you lunch out a bearing and just score up the spindle, a new hub and bearing kit might not last too long either. Don’t ask how I know….

-J.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Jon is correct. Furthermore, if you maintain them you’ll never have a problem.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Jon is correct. Furthermore, if you maintain them you’ll never have a problem.

X2. Just repack every spring and inspect the bearings then. If they look like it’s time, replace them. It’s a simple job. Oh best tip I can give. Buy a bearing tool kit (about $60). It makes seating that seal a 5 second job instead of a hair pulling 10 minute+ job. Race and seal kit

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

“Never” famous last words….. Yes, I do inspect and repack my trailer bearings every year but along with preventative maintanence I like to use a little preventative packing for long trips. I will be in canada and the thought of trying to find parts scares me! Looks as though I have found the replacement! Thanks for your help guys!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I know this is an old posting, but I just bought a used 77’ish shorelandr trailer as well and I’m having a b*tch of a time trying to find a hub. Finally went to the correct place and they said it is a special hub for that era. Just wondering if you found anything out on how to be able to upgrade to the new “standard” size hubs?

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I would call Shorlander and see if it is possible to put a new axle on the trailer along with newer hubs. I replaced an axle once after I had a bearing freeze and it was only about $50. I also use buddy bearings but repack every spring or fall. One bearing problem was enough for me!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.