What size rod for bobber fishing?

• Derrick Cox
    MN, Eagan

thinking about up grading to a newer rod and reel combo but want the rod for bobber fishing walleye because mainly thats what i do. Also what about drifting lindy rigs?? any experience with the fenwick elite walleye rigging/bobber?

Thanks,
    derrick

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I would say 7’min. 8′ is better
    you need to move alot of line to set the hook
    a 8’rod set over your head moves up to 15′ of line on the set that will get it done very well.
    works well at casting floats without snapping your live bait off the hook too.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I sometimes use their drop shot rod as a bobber rod

I like a longer rod, 7 footer for bobber fishing and lindy rigging

For purely bobber fishing, longer rods are better.

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

My Dad started with the Fenwick Elite TEch jigging rod and then bought the bobber rod. I think it is about 7.5′. I think the action is a little heavy but he really likes it.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Snoopy Pole works best for me!

Man you walleye guys are getting lazy, now your using bobbers…

jhalfen

I’ve become a big fan of the St Croix tournament series “slip stick” rod. It is a telescoping rod, 8′ total length, based on the same blank that is used for the 76mlf rod (which is also a personal favorite).

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

I like 7 ft or longer, medium light action with a fast or extra tip. I personally fish the loomis 7 ft walleye series GLX. Its a great rod for rigging and doubles as a good bobber rod. If I was buying a rod JUST for bobber fishing I might go longer but 7 ft works well and stores well in smaller boats

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good suggestions…I’ll add the Limit Creek 6’4″ to 8’3″ telescoping spin rod. Collapses for easy storage and is a ML Fast action rod that is great for rigging and dragging jigs also. Priced in the $119 range I believe…

Dean at Everts can help you on those also.

corey-studer

Quote:

I’ve become a big fan of the St Croix tournament series “slip stick” rod. It is a telescoping rod, 8′ total length, based on the same blank that is used for the 76mlf rod (which is also a personal favorite).

X2

I also like the Avid MLXF76, another fav as it can be use for either corkin’ or riggin.

Quote:

…I’ll add the Limit Creek 6’4″ to 8’3″ telescoping spin rod. Collapses for easy storage and is a ML Fast action rod that is great for rigging and dragging jigs also.

X3

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

All the rods mentioned are great choices, but I would add the 9-6 St. Croix Wild River. I routinely use 4# test and can cast it a mile! The rod picks up slack, keeps pressure on hooked fish, and allows big fish to do what they wish without breaking the line. I have a number of corking rods, but this is my favorite.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Quote:

I like 7 ft or longer, medium light action with a fast or extra tip. I personally fish the loomis 7 ft walleye series GLX. Its a great rod for rigging and doubles as a good bobber rod. If I was buying a rod JUST for bobber fishing I might go longer but 7 ft works well and stores well in smaller boats

Same rod I use

ted-merdan

I run 2 different rods in my boat – I use a 7’6″ Loomis HSR9000 GLX – personal favorite but spendy. Otherwise I use the 8’6″ walleye angler series from Bass Pro @ $80 is a great value purchase for loaners/spares in my boat.

You will note from the thread above that the common thread is longer – imho you need over a 7′ rod that will help you effectively hook fish on a bobber as it’s a challenge to always have the slack out of your line.

Good luck – lots of options/price points out there.

-ted

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.