Lifejackets?

• whittsend

I was just thinking about river flows, cold water fishing and lifejacket use…

I (almost) never wear a life jacket while in the boat, but always make my kids wear one due to ethical and legal requirements. Doesn’t make much sense, right??? Obviously I’m not setting a very good example for them by not wearing my life jacket.

For someone trying to avoid extra bulk and/or restricted movement, anyone have any good brand/model suggestions that won’t break the bank?

Thanks!

Mike

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

The suspender type are great. I have fogot I even had it on driveing home from the river, they are cool, light weight, and not very bulky. Ordered ours from Cabela’s on sale under $100.

jhalfen

Mike, I struggled with this issue for a long time. Last year, I decided I wanted to be 99.9% sure that when I left the dock, I’d be able to return to see my kids again. It’s worth investing in a quality PFD that will be comfortable enough to wear in all conditions….20 F up to 90 F.

I went with the Mustang Survival auto inflate vest with HIT. This inflator won’t discharge if it gets wet…it needs to be immersed in a few inches of water (to generate enough hydrostatic pressure) to make it inflate. It also has an indicator system to tell when it’s time to replace the inflator (required every 4-5 yrs, if I remember correctly).

Once I started wearing it, I’ve had it on for 95+% of my time in the boat. I will occasionally take it off for pics, but it goes right back on afterward. Note that the law requires it to be worn in order for it to be counted as a PFD; it doesn’t count if it’s on the back of the chair. I’ve worn it in the heat of August and September through the cold and snow of January and February, and I’m more than happy with the investment I’ve made….especially when I can have greater assurance of seeing my kids again after a trip!

Disclaimer: I’m not sponsored by, or affiliated in any way, with Mustang. I paid for mine, and will be paying for the ones worn by my customers this year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ditto what Jason said!

Except:
    Float-Tech 3-1’s

Note: Float Tech gave me the PFD’s at no charge 3 years ago.

So I guess that means I’m sponsored by them…

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I bought and wear the Cabelas Tournament Pro 3500 inflatable. I previously wore a SOSpenders brand inflatable but the Cabelas one has 35# buoyancy, in my mind more is better. I’ve also gotten into the habit of slipping it on before we leave the dock.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS once you’ve tried either the Float Techs or Mustang, you won’t be happy with the collar style. They have a tendency to rub your neck.

Whatever one you get, it’s going to be much better than the one on the back of your boat seat!

medic242
    Sioux Falls, SD

Well I’m in the same boat as you. I almost always wear one when the big motor is running but never when I am fishing. And the way the river gets moving from time to time I should. My brother and I started a fishing team at our local High school here in Illinois, and decided that the best and cheapest way to keep the kids in life jackets all day is to use a normal everyday jacket for the times we are using the big motor, and get the belt type for when we are fishing. You can pick them up for pretty cheap from Cabelas.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good point Medic.

All the statistics point to more accidents and death come when the big motor isn’t running.

I would assume that hitting your head on the side of the boat when a person falls in while fishing doesn’t happen that frequently.

Personally, I like the convenience of “put it on and forget it” along with the turning over of an unconscious person in the water. But that’s me and everyone’s a bit different in what they want and how they fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Inflatables are great life jackets. Like it has been said above very comfortable and you tend to forget they are even on. I try to wear mine year round in the boat. Its like wearing a seat belt. You need to keep putting it on until it becomes habit.

If you go into the water in cold conditions first thing to happen is you will gasp for air. Next you will panic with lungs full of water. You have been in the water for about 2 seconds at this point. With a life jacket on you will float and have a chance to figure your way out. With out its panic. Well panic for a few more seconds until all your heavy gear pulls you down.

You can die from hypothermia in 70 degree water. You have about 1 hr before hypothermia in 50 degree water. 30 minutes in 45 degree water. You wont need to know any of this with out a jacket on.

How many of you guys will spend $100 to $300 on a rod but will not spend that much on a jacket? Inflatables are not to expensive.

Do you like the thought of your family standing on shore watching as boats go back and forth dragging for your body. I have seen this on pool 2 and its not a pretty sight.

You are a fool if you are not wearing them.

Okay Im off my soapbox now.

Box

I was on the “saving” end of a boating mishap several years ago -May and 50 degree water. We came around a point and saw a boat circling a guy at WOT. We got to him and pulled him out (he was actually on outside of circle, no idea how he flipped out – but he wasn’t drinking and it was nice day with no real wind), and when he go to hospital his body temp was nearly 90. He has no idea how long he was treading water, and without his glasses had no idea which way shore was. He thought he was dead man, and didn’t even see or hear us come up on him.

We now wear pfd’s AND use kill switch on big boat when driving or at night, but I don’t on pontoon… I know I should…

This thread is good reminder and proof that “real men do wear pfd’s” especially those who want to make it home safe.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

I am disabled now and plan to wear one all the time. My question is how are the Mustang or suspender type ones for big guys? I don’t want to look like Chris Farley in Tommy boy ( fat guy in a little coat )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

He thought he was dead man,

Turns out he was a lucky guy to have you around!

What a person wants to look for in a inflatable PFD is:

Fit

If it’s not worn properly and you slip out of it…nothing else matters. Float-Tech’s come in 3XL (54-56 inches)

US Coast Guard Approved Type V with Type III performance

meets or exceeds the USCG/UL requirements

Buoyancy

A common misconception is that you need more buoyancy for a heavier person. Buoyancy is simply the amount of force pushing upward on the jacket, keeping it above the surface of the water.

The average adult has between 7 & 12 lbs of positive buoyancy, which means the force of the water pushing up on the adult is higher than the force pulling down on the person. The buoyancy in lifejackets provides the additional assistance needed to keep our head and mouth out of the water, and increase your ability to be saved.

Comfort

Float coats do not generally turn a victim’s face up and out of the water. Float-Tech does. Additionally, Float-Tech is not bulky, warm and heavy like full float coats, and is versatile enough to be worn in many more seasons and conditions.

Link to Vest Only and Vest with Rally Jacket<<

Man, I should get paid for this.

Personal experience?

Anchored on hot days (high 90’s) without wind…even the vest alone is Hot. Wearing anything on those days is going to be hot.

Either wearing the vest, the vest and the jacket with out sleeves or the vest and full jacket give the user the options they need to wear a PFD 100% of the time.

The vest alone…sorry about the walleye in the photo..

The vest with the Rally Jacket

And Kooty’s Olive Jacket.

jhalfen

Mustang!

Here are some shots from last August….in the full force of the midday sun. Comfy enough to wear then = comfy enough to wear anytime.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jason? Anyone ever mention you have a striking resemblance to Chris Farley?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I agree. The inflatables are nice. I will be running one myself this year. One thing to keep in mind for those of you on waters that require a regulation PFD… The inflatables do not count as a PFD unless you are wearing it. So, if there are two of you in the boat, and you both wear inflatables but have them laying on the seat while you are fishing, you are NOT legal in most areas. You either need to wear it or have a standard “backup” life jacket in the boat for each boater to be legal. Something to keep in mind if the local sheriff or DNR is checking boats. It also makes a lot of sense for your safety. If you don’t have the inflatable on your body and you fall in, it does you no good. And once it hits the water and inflates you can not get it on. With a standard PFD, you can at least slip it on once you are in the water.

My advice, get the inflatable and leave it on. You’ll never know it’s there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yo Wado!

When are you going to start handling Float-Techs?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Yo Wado!

When are you going to start handling Float-Techs?

BK, I’m at the mercy of my distributors on that one. I can ship Sospenders, Stearns, Mustang, and Revere inflatables but no Float Techs. Sorry, buddy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I bet I can fix that.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I bet I can fix that.

Dear troublemaker, You have a PM.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Anybody wear any under $150?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Anybody wear any under $150?

that are comfortable?

FDR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I wear a Cabelas. Think it was under $100 when purchased. Might of got it on sale. Its comfortable to me. Wear it all the time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Best Price on Vest Only<<

Best price I could find on the vest only…until Wade stocks them.

FYI remember do not wear inflatable under clothing or jackets unless they were designed for it.

Wonder if we could have “In-Depth Outdoors” stiched on the back of a Float-Tech jacket?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.