Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Problems

• dave_n
    Champlin, MN

My son has a ’95 Dodge Ram 1500 for driving back and forth to Bemidji for college. He says his tranny died over the weekend – will go into first gear only and would not shift any more. The tranny shop wants $2300 for a new tranny and torque converter – they say either the torque converter or pump(?) is bad. Anyone have any advice? I’m not willing to dump that much into an old truck.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Best bet i,d say would be to take the 2300 and buy another used vehicle and try to sell the truck for parts.

Ajs

pickeral_boy

How does that fluid smell? Burnt?

You can buy a better truck for cheaper. Some mechanic will buy that off you for $500.

Those dodge of that era was never shipped with a tranny cooler. My tranny guy says for the $100 for an external cooler, it’s the best insurance you can buy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Won’t shift out of first… wonder how they got torque convertor ??? Sounds like a valve body issue to me… How many miles on her ???

big G

dave_n
    Champlin, MN

180,000 miles on the truck. John’s Auto has a used one with a 1 year warranty for $800. Is this a job that might be easy to do?

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you have any mechanical ability and a tranny jack, its about a 5 hour job.

big G

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Difficult to answer if the job will be easy or not, that will depend on your skill level and equipment. All vehicles are easy to work on, some just take more time than others. IMHO.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.