Pflueger Supreme Scratchy???

• Bassn Dan

I just got a new Supreme XT 8035 and the quality is very disappointing.

It has a “scratchy” sound and feel to it. I’ve tried oiling and greasing it, and that made it a bit smoother though it’s still VERY scratchy. I know there are a lot of happy Pflueger spinning reel users on IDO, so this reel is probably not a typical Pflueger? It isn’t horrible, but any Daiwa or Shimano I’ve ever handled regardless of cost, has been WAY smoother than this. I suppose it may improve with use, but I would guess that it could also get worse…

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dan

seeds
    Bluff Country

Return it ASAP! Pflueger’s are super smooth especially the supreme.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Did you buy it somewhere close where you could exchange it for a different one? Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one.

jigs

You beat me to it, return asap. This is very rare I believe.

kris_brantner
    My river

ive had bad luck with pfluegers. mainly holding up over time. super smooth at first then crap after 2 or so years…

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Sounds odd to me ,I have 6 8030 supremes and they work flawlessly, and just purchase an Arbor.

If it not a hassle return it and try another one. Just a thought

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I own a bunch of Shimano reels and a handful of Pfluegers. Both reels are solid products but the Shimano reels are smoother in my opinion. Is a new Pflueger “scratchy?” Nope. You got a clunker. Any time you go to buy a reel I suggest you take each reel out of the box in the store and give it a going over. Test the drag, bail spring and the rotation of the handle. Don’t be afraid to try 3, 4 or more reels on the shelve (be good to the retailer by putting all the packaging and instructions back as you found them). It is common to find one or two reels that just feel better than the others. Those go home with me. The others stay and wait for those less discriminating.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Did you buy it somewhere close where you could exchange it for a different one? Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one.

Unfortunately, this was purchased a couple of months ago, not locally, and it is a gift.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll have to decide if I want to send this back to Pflueger, to the seller, or do something else.

Dan

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Pflueger is great about replacing them in a timely manor. I have a lot of supreme XTs and had sent a couple of them back. No problems at all on having the replaced.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

If you are in the area,I might be able to help out with this one.

wilson1984

Quote:

If you are in the area,I might be able to help out with this one.

Yet another reason Dean is the BEST

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

I own a bunch of Shimano reels and a handful of Pfluegers. Both reels are solid products but the Shimano reels are smoother in my opinion. Is a new Pflueger “scratchy?” Nope. You got a clunker. Any time you go to buy a reel I suggest you take each reel out of the box in the store and give it a going over. Test the drag, bail spring and the rotation of the handle. Don’t be afraid to try 3, 4 or more reels on the shelve (be good to the retailer by putting all the packaging and instructions back as you found them). It is common to find one or two reels that just feel better than the others. Those go home with me. The others stay and wait for those less discriminating.

Agreed. Shimanos for me take the cake. Can’t beat a nice new Stradic straight outta the box! But I also agree you prolly got a clunker. My buddy fishes solely with Pfluegers and I have President micros on my ice rods and have never had a problem. I’d return it, too.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Return it ASAP! Pflueger’s are super smooth especially the supreme.

X2. I’ve got a couple president 6750’s and they are great. If it does not meet your expectations by all means get rid of it.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have 2 UL Pflueger Presidents that have been working full time for over 3 years now. They work hard in the winter and summer. Keeping up with the required maintenance these reels still perform as they did there first trip out of the box.

Sorry you hit a lemon, just saying I would not let the one bad apple deter me from purchasing Plfueger spinning reels.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Just had a new Symetre out of the box that was a clunker….Rare but happens once in awhile.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Where is the “clunk” coming from? Something you can isolate to the reel itself? Reason I ask is, according to a reel repair guy I know, most ‘clunks, catches and weird feels’ actually come from the handle.
    If not, I agree with the others. you got a lemon. Like the others, my supremes are silky smooth and holding up well.

Bassn Dan

Thanks for the replies, and Thanks Dean for the offer to help out – too bad I’m not closer…

To clarify, the reel has a “scratchy grind” sound and feel to it. If I had shopped for this reel in a store, this particular one would have been a “cull.”

From your responses, this is far from typical for this reel so it sounds like it’s worthwile to pursue getting it replaced.

Thanks.

Dan

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.