What’s it worth?

• dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Having trouble finding a value for this boat, thought I’d ask the professionals! It’s an 04 Lund Explorer SS, 17′ in length, 40 hp 2 stroke Johnson, 55 lb. bow mount Minn Kota, excellent shape! Thanks for the help!

jhalfen

Oh my gosh, that boat is fantastically underpowered. The new explorer 1700s are rated for a 125….will a 40 even get that thing on plane? Maybe with one person….but two?

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

There’s one locally for sale at $12,900 but it has a 125 2+2 merc. Very good condition also. Not much for electronics on it. I think you’d need to deduct some for the motor which seems to be undersized for the boat. Just my 2 cents.

jhalfen

Personally, I’d be thinking about buying that boat as hull and trailer only. Leave that motor with the seller, and let him try to sell that separately.

I’d be thinking about 6-7K for the boat and trailer, and then go buy a comparable vintage 4-stroke motor (like a yammie 115, johnzuki 115) to assemble a package whose performance you’ll be happy with.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If the owner tries to sell that boat with that motor… the owner would basically be giving the motor away. It has almost no value as the power plant on that transom. I would almost be tempted to sell them separately. Are you the owner of that boat and if so how did you end up with a 40 HP motor doing the pushing?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Personally, I’d be thinking about buying that boat as hull and trailer only. Leave that motor with the seller, and let him try to sell that separately.

I’d be thinking about 6-7K for the boat and trailer, and then go buy a comparable vintage 4-stroke motor (like a yammie 115, johnzuki 115) to assemble a package whose performance you’ll be happy with.

Yup, exactly.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Nope, not the owner! Looking at purchasing and thought that it was underpowered myself. The current owner did say that it would top out at 27-28mph but did ot specify how long it took to get there! Also, surprisingly, he ordered the boat with that outboard on it, any ideas on what the outboard is worth?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The NADA website will give you an idea. But I’m with James/Jason. What is he asking?

http://www.nadaguides.com

jhalfen

Appropriately powered, that’s a low 40 mph boat.

I wonder how long it takes to plane out with 3 people in it

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Got him down to $6,700….. Would telling him $6,000 be too far off or would I just hurt his feelings?

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Underpowered or not, 6,700 is a good price.
    6,000 would be stealing it.
    Just my .02.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I wonder how long it takes to plane out with 3 people in it

Well with the trolling motor down and on full power with the outboard at full power it planes out with 3 people in approx.

kooty
    Keymaster

Not knowing the year, it’s hard for me to form an educated opinion. However, $6700.00 seems like a good deal from what I can tell. I would plan to upgrade to a “real” motor asap though. An underpowered boat in rough water can be very dangerous. Keep in mind, this may mean new rigging, power cables etc… All costs that are easily missed.

Maybe give Skeeter boat center a call to see if they have a 115 Yammie laying around and what it would cost to get it rigged.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Is that a subtle hint???? Everything is a 2004, including the outboard from what I’ve gathered…

kooty
    Keymaster

Honestly, nothing bugs me more when boat shopping than an underpowered rig. No matter if I’m looking at a 16 footer or 20. You see guys on WC trying to sell a 2025 Pro V with a 150 or 175 on it. I instantly close the ad.

For a 2004, $6700 appears to be an average retail price. Average retail on the boat is $5290 with no extras(which I would only consider to be worth about 35% of new retail, trolling motor, graph etc…). The motor average retail is around $1600.00.

Things I didn’t factor in, trailer cost, graph, trolling motor, any other extras that come with boat ownership. Anchor, life jackets, ropes, dock bumpers. Any upgrades on the boat?

If you get it for $6k, you are close to stealing it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Offer him $6000. If he doesn’t take it, tell him you’ll split the difference and go to $6350. Then sell the motor and put a real one on there. Driving an underpowered boat is no fun at all. Even at $6700, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

dea
    Hixton, WI

If you purchase this and want to repower.. We have a 115 HP Yamaha 4 stroke outboard (’00) for sale on the classified section here. We would take the Johnson in on trade.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

What is the boat rated for on HP rating. those early lunds were not rated up too high. I had a 1600 explorer rated to 45hp. you should check on that before. I had a 40hp honda it ran fine with a 4 blade prop. Sold it last year for 9500 with o4 honda motor and galvized trailer.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Seeing that the outboard is way undersized you would want to figure out if the trolling motor is the proper lb thrust for the boat and whether it has autopilot and 12 or 24 volt, and what is on it for electronics needs to considered too. Also the age of the batteries. If you end up replacing the electronics along with the outboard the less it becomes a good deal. If you can get the info on the electronics and put up another post it would help us tell you if they are adequate for that size boat.

Looks to be in really good shape though.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That boat is rated for 90HP max

big G

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I appreciate all the replies , here are the extras:

55lb. thrust Minnkota – no auto pilot
    Console mounted Lowrance x52
    Batteries – original
    cover
    spare prop

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

You will want to upgrade the trolling motor, especially if you fish the river. This will then lead you to replace the batteries. Do you know if it wired for 24 volts as well? How about an on board charger? I would probably upgrade the sonar as well.

FDR

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i have a hard time believing that boat does 28. i run a 1650 alumacraft classic with a 70hp yamaha 2 stroke, and i only get 31-33 with two guys and a load. 34-35 max empty, downriver, wind at my back…

jhalfen

Batts are 5 years old….replace

Troller may be ok depending on what kind of fishing you do. I had a 12V-55 lb on my C-liner 1750 which was “ok” for fishing lakes in a very gently breeze or less. If you plan on fishing current or bigger water, upgrade to 24V.

Locator….again, depending on what kind of fishing you do, a lot of guys get by with something like that. This is a great time to upgrade to a 5″ GPS/sonar combo, like a Lowrance 500 series unit. Lots of them on closeout shelves these days with the new HDS units being rolled out.

Judge the condition of the cover your yourself. If it’s been stored outside for 4-5 years, it’s ready to be replaced. On my C-liner, the factory snap cover was getting pretty worn after 3 yrs. This boat is 1-2 years older. It may be time to replace the cover.

The prop is irrelevant, since you won’t be using that 40.

Check the condition of the lights, bilge pump, livewell pump, fuse block, carpet, seats. Ask when he last repacked/replaced the trailer bearings. What about the trailer tires and the trailer lighting system? Dealing with any of these issues will cost $$.

My advice: 6000-6500 may be reasonable, based on the checks above. Get the boat, replace the motor, add an on-board charger, do a couple of upgrades and replace the things that are worn, and you’ll have a nice, versatile boat that will keep you in fish for years to come. If you need a recommendation for a guy to deal with the upgrades/repairs for you, drop me a PM.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.