anybody runnin a Tuffy?

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

I’m mostly looking at the 1700C, and curious what others think of these boats. How they handle rough water, top speed, etc. thanks for any info you guys can give me

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Have not ridden in the 1700c. Tuffy does make a good boat, never been in one with a wheel, mostly the smaller tiller versions (esox). I wouldn’t say that was a big water boat, but it doesn’t compare to the hull of an Osprey. Top speed is going to be dependent on how you power it there is a huge range from minimum to max horsepower, plus you probably don’t want to hear my opinion on speed as I am a bass guy. I do like the way the layout is on the 1700, but would look at a tiller boat myself if going with a multi-purpose. Also it only holds 20 gallons of fuel, better get a four stroke? Have you taken a look at the Skeeter’s, they are making quite a selection of Walleye boats these days. I don’t believe they have a single console model like the one you are looking at. My 2 cents.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Run a 97 Renegade so I can’t give you anything recent. Very dry with a soft ride, has taken on big waters with ease. Great storage layout Never a speed demon for sure and with a 150 I could get a little over 50mph. That was back when fuel was less.
    I did check out the new Osprey last week at an expo, very nice
    I believe staffer Zach Fries has a newer 08 Tuffy that he decked out last season, he would be the person to get an up to date review from

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Moreyes on the site runs one, I’m sure he’ll chime in shortly.

Jami

Whiskerkev
    Madison

They are beautiful well built rigs.

tuffyboone
    Brooklyn Park, MN

This will be my fourth season running a 1998 1700t Osprey. I fish Mille Lacs on occasion and have never felt unsafe, but you will need to be smart about running 3-4 footers. Of course it is smooth as silk for me in the back but riders have commented it gets a little rough up front in 3 footers. My opinion is they are smoother than similar tin boats without question. Can’t help with the console version but I would buy another Tuffy in a second.

I am a bass guy at heart so I love the high front deck the 1700 has. I am not running tournaments at the moment so it was an economical set up that works great for an occasional walleye fix too. I really like the versatility of the 1700 layout for multispecies fishing.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

the rig i’m interested has a max HP rating of 135 and I am a bass guy. i’m currently running a 20 foot Skeeter with a 200 on the back, but looking for something a little more economical. That thing was killing me last summer and i think we all know that gas prices are going to get back up there eventually. Another thing that has drawn me to this boat is that it would be a little more family friedly as I have a little one that I’d like to get out there with me. I do fish a lot of tournaments but the only time speed is an issue for me is on my way to the first spot. the rest of the day, I’m runnin 35-40 mph so the fish aren’t getting the snot kicked out of them.
    thanks for the input guys, keep it coming

tuffyboone
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Sounds like my situation 4 years ago. I would think if you maxed out with a 135, getting close to 50mph would not be a problem. Most I have seen are set up with a 115. I get 28-30mph with a 60hp Suzuki 4stroke when fully loaded, 2 people, and a livewell full. 32mph with a light load and myself. The new storage set up they came up with a couple of years ago is much better for rod storage, but you will definitely be longing for more space. I went from a Tr-186 to my Tuffy and miss the extra tackle storage. Nothing a nice tackle bag wouldn’t help with. My 4 year old son loves it.

I am considering a console version for getting back into club tournaments in the next couple of years. I agree that fuel consumption will be a financial problem from here on out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might want to post this in the bass forum…that’s where Moreyes hangs out. (inside joke)

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

Might want to post this in the bass forum…that’s where Moreyes hangs out. (inside joke)

oh yah and

KirtH
    Lakeville

Yah I run a 1890, nice ride, dry, and smoooooth. I have had mine for couple years and everything is still solid.

Call the factory in Lake Mills, I bet Steve Worrel could arange a test drive, tell him Kirt sent yah.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

good one BrianK….Kirt needs to be put in his place sometimes

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

The 1700 is a great boat. My buddy has one with a 90 opti console. Can’t recall top speed with that set-up, but it was a quick boat. He really likes it! If I could have 2 boats, I’d have my 2060 for the big water and a 1700 for the smaller puddles. Orange and gunmetal would look good.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

The 1700 is a great boat. My buddy has one with a 90 opti console. Can’t recall top speed with that set-up, but it was a quick boat. He really likes it! If I could have 2 boats, I’d have my 2060 for the big water and a 1700 for the smaller puddles. Orange and gunmetal would look good.

I like your thinkin

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.