Keel guard on a fiberglass boat?

• Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I plan to use my fiberglass boat in Voyagers Park this year and a friend asked if I had a keel guard. If not better get one he suggested but could offer no details, his boat came equipped with one. Where can I get an add on keel guard? Is this a Do-It-Yourself project or best left to the boat shops? How is the keel guard attached to the boat, adhesives, fastners or ?

scottd
    wisconsin

Check out Overtons.com for ideas.
    It is an easy do-it-yourself as long as you properly clean the hull and follow directions.
    Would be a good idea when pulling boat up onto rough shorelines.

Scott

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

A good idea in my book if you plan to do any beaching. I did mine and if was not hard. Just make sure you clean it well and read the directions.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I got the Hamby’s light version last year. It was pretty simple to put on and if I was able to do it, well anybody can do it.

camodm
    Wisconsin

Don. We install Hamby’s here at the Skeeter Boat Center. I had Troy from Hamby’s come and train one of my guys last year and we did buy the rack that makes it easier to put on. 450.00. Let me know if I can help. Dan

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I would say they are a must have on any fiberglass boat. If nothing else they are added insurance for the keel. Not sure how hard they are to put on since I had mine installed when I got the boat. One thing to think about though is if there is any spots were it is not completely sealed tight water will get in there and work it off, and you will have a bigger mess than what you started with. Also sand could get in there and rub off the gel coat after a while.
    If it was me I would have a dealer install it. That way if anything does go wrong they will take care of it. You would also know than that it was prepped and glued to manufactures specs.

Just my .02

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.