Frabill minnow aerator

• chrispy003
    Superior, Wisconsin

I got an aearator for my minnow bucket for christmas, and have never used one before. I read the manual and it said the run time was 18 hours. I was wondering if i wanted to keep my minnows fresh would i have to let it run all night or just for an hour to raise the oxygen level?

stuart
    Mn.

With cold water you should be able to keep fatheads alive by running it now and then.When its hot out,run it all the time.Mine has run with bullheads in a large bucket for about 24hrs.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Cold clean water is the biggest key IMHO to keeping minnows fresh and happy. Honestly stop in at walmart and buy a cheap aquarium model something like $10 for overnight, leave the batteries for the time on the water.

The aeration comes from the bubbles breaking at the surface, not adding the bubbles in the water, so normally I don’t set the air stone too deep in the water a 3 inches or so below the water level, that insures a decent oxygen exchange without contantly stiring up the water, I want my minnows fresh and lively, not tired and lazy.

Really I’d change some water everyday too, water quality will kill the fish just as fast as lack of oxygen, I’d change 20% of the water each day, more if it looks or smells bad. Get some declorinator with the air pump at wally world, add a drop per gallon of water, or go fishing everyday

chrispy003
    Superior, Wisconsin

Thanks for the advice guys, should solve my dead minnow problems that i’ve been having.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.