New humminbird ice 55, 45, 35 flashers

• Thore

I disagree deluxe247 I think you have it backwards

the box says” choose the frequency and coverage of your sonar to cast a wider net, focus on the bottom, or to change frequencies to ……

Select the 240 khz beam for a wider 19 degree coverage area to detect more fish, choose the narrower, 9 degree 455khz beam for greater resolution and detail in deeper water”

typethree

Cool write up that many people will find useful!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I’m just going off of what I read on the box(before I returned it), as well as Page 2 of the manual (on-line)

Your ICE Flasher Series™

Fishfinder gives you the power to choose

the frequency and coverage of your

sonar. 455 kHz provides narrow coverage

with the greatest definition. 240 kHz

provides wider coverage and a good balance between depth performance and resolution.

right next to that paragraph is the image where they show the frequency’s . the High Frequency Narrow Beam) is optimal in shallower water, where as the Lower frequency (wide beam) is optimal for deeper water.

I’m not saying it can’t be used in the other way but the way I read it is they recommend Narrow beam = shallow, and wide beam =deep.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

by the way Thore I’m not trying to pick a fight here, just stating what I’m reading! If I’m wrong I’m wrong.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m not saying it can’t be used in the other way but the way I read it is they recommend Narrow beam = shallow, and wide beam =deep.

Guys,

I’m sure that’s what the box says but that seems completely backwards to me.

[SIGH] Five days to the High Power Event.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

HAHA! I hear you James. That was my thought too.

I’m hoping my wife is feeling better so I can make it out on the 20th. I had the 35 @ home for 8 days, and just couldn’t bring myself to open it. So it went back to the store, but I really want to play with one of the birds and see if I made the right choice. I think they have ALOT of potential there.

Joby

Quote:

I’m just going off of what I read on the box(before I returned it), as well as Page 2 of the manual (on-line)

Your ICE Flasher Series™
    Fishfinder gives you the power to choose

the frequency and coverage of your
    sonar. 455 kHz provides narrow coverage
    with the greatest definition. 240 kHz
    provides wider coverage and a good balance between depth performance and resolution.

right next to that paragraph is the image where they show the frequency’s . the High Frequency Narrow Beam) is optimal in shallower water, where as the Lower frequency (wide beam) is optimal for deeper water.

Just to clear up a little confusion. The single beam (455khz) is for deep water (deeper than 10 feet). The wide beam (240khz)is for shallow water (less than 10 feet).

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Do they have this backwards on the box?

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Do they have this backwards on the box?

NOW THIS wouldn’t shock me as the 1/2″ target separation is also a misprint.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

These are the diagrams in the owners manual that I’m referencing. Again I’m not trying to slam this product by anymeans For all I know it is just great, and there like all products are a few bad ones that got away. Again I purchased it, (however I may have returned it) with the intent to keep it.

But I think if you call for help with picking up your jig, on the screen or anything else, they are going to tell you to use the Narrow for shallow, and the Wide for deep.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

I played with my new 55 last night for a couple hours and found the following:

In 15 fow I could see my diamond jig/spike very well with the narrow beam and gain setting of 8. If I switched to the wide beam I had to turn the gain up to 22 to see the jig. That is terrible!!

I’m sending it back and getting a LX-3 or LX-5 I think.

Thore

deluxe 247

I didn’t want to cause any riffles I just want people to enjoy their investment as much as I enjoy mine. I’m just trying to help out sorry for the confusion my apologies

this is what works for me shallow = wide

deep= narrow

why would you want to use the wide angle transducer in deep water say you were fishing in 25 feet of water using your 19 degree cone that is a huge amount of water that your transducer is trying to read

hANG ON i’M GOING TO CALL HB MYSELF

Thore

WHATS PM

Thore

WOW I’m replying to myself it must be too cold for me to ice fish

HB customer service said use the 19 degree beam in shallow water (so I asked them what do they consider shallow and they stated under 20 feet) and the 9 degree in deep water

whiskeyandwater
    ????

look for the little flashing envelope in the upper right hand corner of the screen. click on it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

why would you want to use the wide angle transducer in deep water say you were fishing in 25 feet of water using your 19 degree cone that is a huge amount of water that your transducer is trying to read

Why? For the most basic reason I carry a flasher. Before I even fish a hole I drop my ‘ducer in the hole and I look to see if there’s anything around the hole before I even set the flasher down. No fish. I move on. I don’t want a narrow beam transducer in that application. I wan’t the wide beam so I can see that fish that is off to the side of the hole knowing that it is likely that I’ll be able to move that fish to me once I get my bait at the proper depth.

But that’s besides the point, really. Why WOULDN’T the hbird perform equally well in the wide beam and narrow beam settings? The other flashers on the market do just fine giving anglers the choice. And I can think of a large number of instances where I would make use of a wide beam in deeper water.

Thore

your exactly right james I fish the same way punch a bunch then search them out but once I locate those fish I prefer to use the 9 degree cone( in deeper water) when I’m fishing for them not looking for them- big difference and a whole nother subject

when searching for them over any peice of structure deep or shallow I use the wide angle 90% of the time but I’ll tell if your on a steep break in some deep water using that 19 degree beam its not acurate because on either side of that cone is several and sometimes even more feet of depth change and the return signal isn’t coming back at the same time

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

These are the diagrams in the owners manual that I’m referencing. Again I’m not trying to slam this product by anymeans For all I know it is just great, and there like all products are a few bad ones that got away. Again I purchased it, (however I may have returned it) with the intent to keep it.

But I think if you call for help with picking up your jig, on the screen or anything else, they are going to tell you to use the Narrow for shallow, and the Wide for deep.

I think some of the confusion is due to the fact that in open water, deep water fishing (such as in the Great Lakes or in the Ocean) it is advised to use the lower frequency (wider) beam because lower frequency sound waves travel better/further in deeper water. Thus, when you are in REALLY deep water, you have to use the lower frequency beam (I’m talking about water around 300 feet or more). This is not a general consideration for most hard water angling.

So the image on Humminbird’s box is accurate for open water, deep sea fishing, but doesn’t fit the needs of hard water anglers at all. Use the wide beam to search out fish and define surrounding structure. Use the narrow beam for better clarity (less noise/clutter) and to focus in on a smaller area around your jig/lure.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Come-on guys, everyone knows the first year something new comes out they have problems. Marcum had bad transducers on the LX-3 when it came out. It takes a year or two to work out the kinks. I do not think they have ice fishing in China, so maybe they got there beams backwords? Who knows

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Well if you buy one buy it from Cabelas at least they have a great return policy Im sure they will fix the problem in the future but Im not sure why you wouldnt have these bugs worked out on a flasher before it is released or I guess it could be a bad batch.Who knows.I sure dont see many ocean going or great lakes rigs running flashers From what I have heard so far I would stick to the tried and true flashers.Ive never been a fan of Hummingbird from the start however their new side imaging units for open water use are interesting.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.