Another winterizing question…..

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Ok guys here is my little issue…I wanna have my boat available to use all winter BUT the shop I store it in is not heated….anyway I can still use it and not damage it from not getting it winterized!

Todd_NE

I would follow whatever your manual says.

However, I rarely winterize anything unless it’s going to sit for four months or more.

Just make sure you fully drain your engine, keep the gas tank(s) full of gas/sta bil and your batteries filled to the proper water level and charged.

The mechanics I know usually recommend that you pull out tip your motor down and let it drain, then lift it up for awhile and drop it again. Fire the engine with the safety switch off. Tip the motor up and down one more time then store for travel.

I have my duck boat outside on trips throughout the winter and never have a problem. Many times my large boat with 200+ Opti’s have never seen temps above freezing for a week in Canada and I’ve never had a problem there either.

I would also remind you that livewells, and all that stuff should be avoided in really cold weather. You can blow your pumps, fuses, etc.

In the spring, keep adding gas as you run it out. Don’t run out all the “old” gas before adding.

I hope that helped, I may have missed your question intent.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I use my boat as long as I can find open water within an hour of home. That usually takes me into late December. I keep it in my garage at home so it is always available if we get a mid winter warm snap. It is back on the water in early March usually.

Starting in November, I will keep stabil in the gas and try to keep the tank full. I drain the lower unit oil and put new oil in for the winter. I will fog the pistons when I can’t get the boat out anymore. If I end up getting out in January, I won’t fog them again after as spring is only a month away.

Some of my best outings of the year have been in Janaury. Very few boats to compete with. I say keep the boat handy and get out when you can. Shrink wrap is for pleasure craft.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I change my fluids (4 stroke motor) before winter, but that’s it.

I do the same thing, trimming the motor up and down a few times and the dry fire when I exit the river. Some guys don’t dry fire and don’t have problems. My boat drains all the live wells and pumps without having to blow them out. Maybe someday I might have a problem with a pump, but so far no problems and this will be the fourth winter.

Many guys store them outside with no problems. Just pull your electronics, they shouldn’t be stored at real cold temps.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I always here about water int he lower unit freezing and what not can I just drain that by lowering and raising the motor a few times or what….Just nervous about it not being heated and all I wanna keep it available all winter for pool 4

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Erick, once you get the boat out of the water, lower the motor, fire it over and let it drain you’ll be fine. Don’t use the livewells though, if you want to keep fish, bring a cooler. Take the electronics in at night.

Drain the gear case fluid and put in fresh stuff, just in case.

Jami

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

do like Jami said and you will be fine. Get the water out and take the electronics in the house.

hollywood

also if you are not sure, pour some non-toxic camper anti-freeze in your live well drains

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

up with the camper antifreeze.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

I always here about water int he lower unit freezing and what not can I just drain that by lowering and raising the motor a few times or what

That is why you either want to change the lower unit grease, or check it to make sure thee is no moisture in the oil. Or what happens is some store thee boats outside and don`t either tilt there motor all the way down or cover the exhaust and prop with plastic. So rain and snow dosen`t collect in the lower unit exhaust housing, freeze and crack it.

My boat is allways ready to go 365 days a year.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

When you fire it over just let it run for a few short seconds and then shut it off. Don’t want it to overheat.
    Thanks, Bill

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Personally I’m not a big fan of firing the motor again dry, talked to some mechanics and they advise against it, they said they can tell when people do it, the impellars wear extra fast. To each their own.

I tip mine up and down a couple times thus far no issues.

The one issue I ran across with winter is my water pressure and speed sensors get water pressure from the motor, I’ve had those lines freeze solid, but it didn’t cause me any problems, I may have been lucky I’ve hear of other that ruined gauges, Really I’ll probably cap those off this year, at the motor.

I like to leave some RV anti freeze in my livewell and cooler for the fish.

I also try and make sure I give the motor some extra time to warm up before I take off a good 5+ minutes ideling around, up to plane and cruise there, maybe I’ll stretch the legs later of I get it warmed up good.

On Some livewells it’s possible to plug the inlet.

I also run seafoam in every tank anyways, but it’s a good idea if you don’t at very least as a fuel stabilizer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.