Crank Bait / Husky Jerk Storage…

• ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

What do you all use for your crank bait / husky jerk storage?

I HATE tangled hooks so I keep them in the boxes, to also help with size/color/depth selection. I picked up a few of the Plano Storage boxes (see picture), but the HJ14’s won’t fit.

jhalfen

I use a Lakewood AO45 crankbait case. It has no trouble with the big HJs and rogues.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Watch out for those Plano boxes. Mine are going in the scrap pile after just a couple of trips out. The hooks of the lures get caught in the drain slots cut in the bottom of each storage compartment. That was nice to find out at 1am on mille lacs.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Jason, how does that box work with fitting into the storage compartments of the boat. They look nice but I keep thinking they would need to be kept out all the time.

jhalfen

Quote:

Jason, how does that box work with fitting into the storage compartments of the boat. They look nice but I keep thinking they would need to be kept out all the time.

Mine won’t fit into a compartment, It will tuck under the console, for the most part, but it still extends into the area where my feet would otherwise be. The box ends up being out in the open when I’m using it, and tucked away as best I can manage when not in use.

Having said that, it is weather-tight, and while it is on the large side, I rather like having all of my options in front of me when digging for a new crank.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Special Mate tackle boxes.

shaley
    Milford IA

B&B Baitboxes is what I use, and love it. web page

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Here are the ones I like to use, but they’re really hard to find since they don’t make em anymore. I just love them.

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

I use a rubber band and Plano 3700 boxes.

Getting banged together ruins crank baits and this stops that. Also surprisingly if you rubber band the lips and hooks correctly they almost never tangle each other’s hooks.

I fit 30 to 40 stick baits in 3700’s, 50 to 60 number 5 size shad raps and 30 to 40 number 7 shad raps in a 3700.

I had B and B boxes before and I found them too large and bulky.

The Plano 3770 boxes are a great for husky jerks!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Bobberal, do you find unwinding the baits at night on Mille Lacs is a challenge with the rubber bands??

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

Kooty,

Never much of a problem at all. It is important to band the back hook under the bait as the photo shows. The unwinding is then the same all the time, and they rarely tangle hooks.

I have been using this for over 5 years. I hate to say it, but I too thought the B & B boxes were the ticket. I even had two of them. A guy in Wisconsin got a great deal on some slightly used ones. Those things are expensive $$$$$$

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Very interesting, Bobberal. I wonder if the rubber band trick would work with shad raps? I might be giving that a try…..

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Very interesting, Bobberal. I wonder if the rubber band trick would work with shad raps? I might be giving that a try…..

This is an old bass guys trick for many years. Works great for keeping the “double hook” baits from tangling!

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

Works on the triple hook baits too. Just make sure you fold the hooks in like the picture above.

Works great with Shad Raps too.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I use the flipsider for most Rapala’s and other Plano boxes for the larger lures. Too bad they didn’t make a larger Plano flip sider.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.