Trolling Motor Question

• BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I have an older Alumacraft Lunker, 50 hp 4 stroke. I have 3 HEAVY batteries on board with lot of gear. I have a 50 pound 12 volt on the front. Am I better off with a 50/55 pound on the back to use with my bow mount, or would I be better with a 70 pound thrust 24 volt bow mount?

I troll and jig skinny water at night for walleye and fish gills, crappies on electric only lakes. I want more power to run faster current and just go faster on the electric only lakes.

Any suggestions?

Bob B.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

It’s easier to pull a boat than to push it. If you want more speed and power, you should probably put the 24 volt motor up front. For boat control and stuff like that for jigging, you could fish satisfactorily with a 55lb on the transom, but I think for rigging purposes, it’d be easier for you to have just 12v everywhere, or just 24v, one or the other. I’m known for my overkill, so you know what I’ll say…..go 24v everywhere. It’s always better to have more than you need and be able to cut it back than not have enough when the wind comes up.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

go 24v everywhere. It’s always better to have more than you need and be able to cut it back than not have enough when the wind comes up.

Don’t cut yourself short. Go 24 volts everywhere, then your problems are solved. As what he said, then its there when you need it.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

In that situation I myself would go with at least the 70 lb bow mount 24 volt. I wouldnt hesitate to go to 80 either. I dont think it would be needed to have a transom mount if you go with at least 70 lb on the bow. If you can justify the cost I would go with the 80 lb terrova with universal sonar, auto piolit, and co-piolit.

Just my .02

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Bob,
    I too would recommend 24v.
    I recently lost my ’94 Lunker to a storm, but I ran 24V for and aft. Max power was there when you needed it, but you could obviously run for a longer time between charges as well!
    I rigged my Lunker, with the single 12v battery for boat accessories, in the back of the boat by the fuel tank. I placed the 2 batteries for the 24v system in the front, middle storage compartment in the floor. It was then simple to run the wires to the bow for that motor and back through the pvc tube under the floor for the back motor.
    24v will not be overkill and neither will a 60″ shaft.
    Good luck.
    cheers

BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

Drakesdemise,
    I appreciate the post. I ahve two batteries in front wired in series. They both have about 220 amp hours reserve power. In series, I can fish on a trip for days with out needing to recharge. I figured a transome mount would be ok as my main motor would charge that battery every time I run it. So, I woudl have ample electric power, and nearly 100 pounds of usable thrust. I understand it is easier to pull than push. I guess I am wondering if you are using say 50 to 60 percent of the thrust available on your 24 volt unit, how long can you go between charges?

Bob.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

My 24v transom motor is 65# and I us that one almost exclusively for duck hunting. I run it straight through the rice on retreives and for deploying and picking up decoys, not for transport though.
    I can beat that thing up for a solid weekend with minimal loss in power, and I am running it wide open when I’m using it.
    I should have clarified that, I mainly use the bow mount for fishing and the transom for hunting. Both are 60″ – 65# 24v.
    Good luck
    cheers

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

While running at about 60% I can go 4 days of fishing before noticing a big power change. That amounts to about 3 to 4 hours a day. They definately last a lot longer between charges. Also if you do get a 24v system you might also want to invest in an on-board charger. That way when you get home all you have to do is plug the extension cord in and your done.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Bob,

I’d suggest a bow mount, 80-pounder. The new Minn Kota motors would get you a full day to two on the water before needing a recharge, depending on conditions. Also, if you run skinny water, a bow mount has an advantage over the transom mount in that you can run it with it barely in the water and it will still pull the boat. If there’s enough ater for the boat to float, there’s generally enough water to run the bow mount motor.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.