Shorlander trailer lights

• bigpike

OK you guy’s were very helpfull with my trolling motor problem last week, now I have 1 more problem to solve. Someone backed into my trailer last fall on my last trip of the year and did some pretty good damage to my fender. This spring I ordered new fenders and installed them. My tail lights were burned out and in disaray so I replaced them at the same time. Now the problem I have is that my running lights work if I turn them on but the brakes and blinkers wont. The blinker light actually burns fulltime with the running lights. I checked all the grounds and fuses and they are good, I fished my old wiring threw the trailer and found some exposed pieces, so then I repaired them and ordered two new sets of wiring, from the tail lights to the tongue plug. It still does the same thing. Any ideas out there? Thank’s for any help…..This trailer is a 98′ and has been a excellent trailer for me- the best I have ever owned

jesse
    mn

If everything in the trailer is new, test your tow vehicle. Sometimes the vehicle will be the issue, and usually the last thing to get checked. Good luck

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I replaced my wiring last year on my Shorelander, when I pulled the old wires I found from the factory the have these plug in connections at every running light. In may case they were all very coroded and I had some bare wire exposed in places. My sugestion would be to check your vehicle with a $3 tester to make sure your problem is in the trailer. If the problem is still in your boat it’s easiest to simply pull all new wires, it’s an easy job and more that likely will prevent an accident while towing in heavy traffic and wrecking your weekend of fishing. If you don’t want to do it yourself, the cost would more than likely be under $200 and keep you safe and worry free for another 5 years or so.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

When you turn your blinker on does the vehicle blinkers work properly? With the boat trailer lights connected.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If the blinker/brake light comes on at the same time as the running lights then you have a short between those two wires somewhere. They should be separate independant circuits. Check this out:

Trailer Wiring

Johnboy
    Illinois

I had a similar problem once. The turn signal relay was the culprit. A new heavy duty one resolved the problem.

Don Hanson

Start by checking the plug coming out of the truck. If that tests out ok, test the plug coming off the trailer. Just did a boat trailer a few weeks ago, the plugins were less than a year old but that turned out to be the problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.