TrollMaster Installation Question

• akockelm
    Metro MN

TrollMaster warns about running the wiring next to battery cables for an electric start motor.

Quote:

** Caution **

For electric start outboard motors.
    The Trollmaster cable must not be placed in contact with the battery leads going to the outboard motor.

1. Do not connect the Trollmaster power to a battery terminal where the trolling motor leads are connected.

2. Do not bundle or tie strap the Trollmaster cable to the trolling motor leads.

3. Do not route the Trollmaster cable where it may come in contact with the trolling motor leads.

Of course, that is exactly what I want to do. Has anyone had problems or what have you done instead of running the wires next to the motor battery cables?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Just did mine this weekend.

So…… you need to hook up the trollmaster to a different battery???

Quote:

The Trollmaster cable must not be placed in contact with the battery leads going to the outboard motor.

I duct taped my trollmaster throttle cables coming from the servo to the Kicker battery (power)wires. Is this ok?

Tuck you ever have any problems doing this????

scottsteil
    Central MN

According to those instructions it would require its own battery. That can’t be right. The guys on tour using them do not have 5 batteries in their boats.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Just did mine this weekend.

Take it over to Calvins tonight We’re getting pretty good with wiring Rangers

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

and to think Tuck thought his boat had cool special “Christine” powers.

akockelm
    Metro MN

My thoughts too. Why the heck would you need to wire to a different battery? Doesn’t the battery act as a large filter anyway?

I was just hoping some of you who have probably hooked these up zip-tying the cable to the starting cables and wiring it to the starter battery can verify there is no issue…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Mine runs from the same battery. I hooked into a hot lead under my dash, and ran it back, bundled to the wires running to my T-8. What they are refering to is power surges if you tap into wires used for your trolling motors. You can mount the wires on a battery if you wish, but I recommend a fusable link.

(Unless you have a Ranger. Then nothing you try will work. Or, it will work for a while, then you sit and scratch your head for a while, and have a 10 yer college student come over to try to fix the mess you started. )

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

6 year thank you

akockelm
    Metro MN

My freshman year in college was the longest 3 years of my life

Thanks for posting. I’m not going to worry about it if it’s working okay for others.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.