KLOTZ snowmobile oil in the boat

• klotzlubemn
    West metro, MN

Can anyone think of any issues with using my Klotz snowmobile oil in my outboard motor? Klotz says the only difference in the formula is the snowmobile oil has a lower pour point than the Outboard motor oil for cold temps but otherwise is the same. I can get the snowmobile oil for very cheap and seems like it would be the thing to do for the price. Any thoughts?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Sounds like you have different viscosities.

Quote:

Klotz says the only difference in the formula is the snowmobile oil has a lower pour point than the Outboard motor oil for cold temps but otherwise is the same

That is enough to scare me to the point that it would destroy your bearings.

GNFISN

My 2 ยข ; I ran the “techniplate” tcw3 Injector oil , and noticed poor performance. ( starting , idling – that kind of performance in humid weather) You almost have to re-jet your carbs – WAY worse than I get with Evinrude /Johnson semi sinthetic. Flat out @ 5,8oo rpm’s wide open its great! It’s a hi performance synthetic oil intended to run hot and fast , not “fishing” type running.( I know you guys with the 250’s are laughing) but as an overall injector oil , I’d stick to your engines recomended tcw3 oil. Klotz didnt have any interest in helping me figure this out either , once they found out my questions were guided towards bassboats , even tournament exposure. They are an all out racing company – period. ( I bought 4 gallons – not cheap.) Live and learn ( run it in your sled or lawn mower)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m convinced this was bad gas or just a coincidence BUT I was using Klotz in my sled one winter then used it in my boat. I soon burned down. Probably not the oil but I will never know since I quit using it in the boat immediately. I think it was the gas since I went out of my way to buy non-oxygenated premium one time and it smelled real bad. Not like gas. The mechanic that rebuilt it said the same thing and I had not even mentioned it to him.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.