Two Graphs, One Gps Module?

• slammin eyes
    Oakdale, MN

I have an Lowrance X-15 with the external GPS module and just picked up a X-16. My question is can I use one GPS modlue and use both graphs at the same time? If so, is there a special cord that I need? Any info would be appreciated.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I know sonar (transducer connections) are not networkable completely (will only display digital depth reading), im not sure about gps, but it tells u in the manual, i got one right here somewhere, ill look and let u know for sure.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Get ahold of Wade at Jolly Ann Marine (site sponsor).
    He can tell you all about networking and how to get the units to work together.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

GPS is completely networkable, however, as far as I know neither your X-15 or X-16 are LowranceNET NMEA 2000 compatible for data sharing so i don’t think it will work. All that u need to network if they are compatible are t-connectors and lengths of backbone cable.

I guess u better wait for a better answer

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You can connect the two units via the NMEA 0183 port and run both units off one GPS antenna. See my post in the link below:

NMEA 0183 protocol

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

u really r a smart guy when it comes to the electronics rigging!

I have a 102c and a 332 both in the back of the boat, i assume i am correct that i cannot network full sonar from one to the other off of 1 transducer, or can i?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I have a 102c and a 332 both in the back of the boat, i assume i am correct that i cannot network full sonar from one to the other off of 1 transducer, or can i?

You are correct. I think the only units that can truly share a transducer without an A-B switch box are pinpoints.

You can share digital depth between those two units via the NMEA 2000 network, meaning you could read the numeric depth on the second unit, but you would get no fish marks, bottom detail, structure, etc.

Other than that, you’re stuck using two xducers and dealing with some interference. You cn reduce the the interference by adusting the ping rate on one of the units. The idea is to get them sending sonar signal at different times. This process may have to be repeated at times, since the units will sync-up over time.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wade is right. I just went through all the above in the last few weeks riiging my boat. Lowrance does not have the capability of sharing Sonar readings to each unit. However, they can be networked for GPS purposes by two ways. The way Wade posted (IMO the best way and Cheapest)and if they are NMEA capatible through the “backbone” or NMEA system like the other member pointed out. This way is costly and not worth it if you are just looking to share GPS information. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

dautio

Wade is correct about the pinpoints. However, my buddy was working the Duluth sports show and the talked to the Lowrance rep about this issue. He was told the there is a new software update due out in April that will allow sonar data to be shared. This sounds to good to be true so we’ll have to wait and see.

Dave

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Thanks Wade, u know your stuff, i’ll have many questions for u in the future im sure, and maybe a minnkota vector purchase sometime soon. Free shipping, how can u go wrong?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.