Speedometer quit working??

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Running on the ‘Croix last Saturday and my speedometer quit on me. There was some small debris floating and I was running around 30 mph and the thing just quit. Is there something stuck? Where would I look? It’s a S/C Fishawk 2001.
    Tanks!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Look on the front side of your lower unit. There is an intake hole there. (Real Small). Take a bottom bouncer or like probe and clean out any crud stuck in there.

J.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

thanks Jon

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I keep a 1/16 inch drill bit handy, then just using your fingers you can carefully clean out whatever is stuck in that water pick-up on the lead edge of the engine.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

How accurate are they supposed to be?

letsgo

When trolling I find the RPM’s are a better guide than the speedometer.

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

When mine cloggs up I just put my boat in reverse and gun it a little bit it blows the crud out and it has worked every time so far.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I found the problem. The water hose that runs up to the speedometer had fallen off! I was running it yesterday and a whole bunch of water was coming out of it. Missed the wiring underneath there. I re-attached and I’m good to go.

fishhead
    Chaska

My speedo quit working also last time I had that boat out.Its a 90 merc.The weird thing is that when the speedo quit I started getting warning beeps from the motor when I would punch it.Is the intake for the speedo also the intake for the cooling system?Any other ideas?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

good question. I had no motor problems while it didn’t work. I don’t believe they are the same intake.

FishnFreak

The speed and cooling are not the same — cooling would be the larger vents on the side of the lower unit. It’s possible that both the speed and cooling intakes got clogged at the same time if you were in some REALLY dirty water.

If the cooling intake is working, you should be getting the good stream of water coming out from the upper housing.

My speed intake got clogged from debris when I had a new Skeg welded on — that’s another story

Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.