Cold Blooded Outboard

• Adam1
    Superior/Balsam Lake, WI

I’ve got a 1984 Johnson 115 horse, and I have to turn it over for a good amount of time before she wants to go when she’s cold. Once the motor is warm it starts and runs perfectly. I put new plugs and wires on it at the very end of last year. Is there any thing that I can do to make my motor a little more cooperative when it’s cold?

sednerb
    Mount Vernon, IA

If its a V-4 your probably going to have to live with it. I had a 87′ 90 horse Evinrude that ran in the exact way you described. Those motors were really popular back then, and you still see a-lot of them around today. Everyone I’ve talked to that has one experiences the same problems, and I haven’t heard of any sure cures for it. The only upside is that the motors were built well, and will last a long time as long as the oil pump hangs in there.
    SEDNERB

herb
    6ft under

My 90 horse evinrude was just as your’s. Very cold blooded. One thing I learned quickly was each time out I had to make sure the primer bulb was pumped till it felt solid. If I did that at the begining of the day the motor started and ran fine the whole day. I also had to use the warm up lever when the motor was cold. I guess that’s why it’s there eh? Those engines are real work horses but they love the gas.

sednerb
    Mount Vernon, IA

Herb,
    Yup, that’s exactly the way I started mine. And yes, they are for surely huge gas consumers. I bought a newer boat this year with a 125 Mariner, and it delivers better gas mileage than the 90 horse did. Good motors though, that Evinrude never left me stranded.
    SEDNERB

Adam1
    Superior/Balsam Lake, WI

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know what rpm’s I should be running with my motor? The guy that I bought the boat from had to rebuild the motor and I want to make sure i’m not doing it any harm. thanks

herb
    6ft under

I don’t have my 90 anymore but it never ran over 5400 rpm just because of the set-up I had. I believe redline is in the 5800 to 6000 range. Find a dealer and ask to make sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.