Doc’s next Lowrance and mapping classes

• doc samson
    MN

Lowrance School Sunday 9:15 AM-4:15 PM February 4, 2007 Rogers Crystal Pierz Marine, 21150 Rogers Drive, Rogers, MN next to Cabela’s

Mapping Class Monday 6-9 PM February 5, 2007 Rogers Crystal Pierz Marine, 21150 Rogers Drive, Rogers, MN next to Cabela’s

Go to http://www.hightechfishing.com for registration forms and more information.

I secured this location and I was lucky to find out the Super Bowl starts at 6 PM. I apologize for the inconvenience. Last minute planning is difficult.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Doc-
    Could not find the information on the mapping class, I think the class might help me decide on which pc mapping program to get, will you have copies for sale that night?.
    Thanks,
    STCROIXER

dautio

Doc,
    My son and I would like to go. We’ve got a 111c and have an area on a lake we’d like to map for ourselves. Would there be enough info at the Sunday seminar for that or would you recommend the mapping class instead.

Dave

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Doc,
    I have both of your CDs, but am thinking about taking the Sunday class. What more does the class offer that I haven’t picked up from the CDs? Thanks.

doc samson
    MN

STCROIXER,
    The mapping class info is up. I will have Fugawi, GlobalMapper and 3DField for sale. You can buy DrDepth from their website.

Dave,
    You will need the mapping class I have not had anyone attend the mapping class without going to the Lowrance School first so I don’t have an exact answer. Maybe somebody who has gone to both will give his opinion on this Q&A session.. The Lowrance School helps you understand part of the process but I don’t teach the steps to create a map.. I don’t want someone to waste their money if it is over their head.

Coot,
    The DVDs and the classes are different and similar. The DVDs teach the value of different features and a tour through the menus and settings. I discuss the important features in the class, teach how sonar works, how to optimize the sensitivity and colorline with real-time recorded sonar, interpreting the display using underwater video and sonar recording I have made, map cards, mapping software uses, and more. Viewing the DVDs before the class helps a lot because there is too much good information and if you have the basics down you can learn better. If anybody who has my DVDs and went to a class, please give your opinion.

doc samson
    MN

Dave A,
    There is another difference between the Lowrance School and the mapping class. I demonstrate how to log charts onto memory cards in the Lowrance School and the problems that occur when you have a LakeMaster card and the blank card you want to record to. This takes time and I don’t repeat this at the mapping class because it is redundant to them and time is short.

warrenmn
    Minnesota

Looks like I’ll be sitting in on Doc’s classes. He needed some one to pick on.
    WarrenMN

Well I just got back from Joe’s sporting goods a few minutes ago, and i decided to go with either the LMS-334 or the LMS-522. Although I can’t make it to this session , my question is, for a guy who wants to learn more about reading bottom type, distinguishing baitfish from big fish, and to simply better understand what i’m seeing on the graph, should I sign up for a future class to learn this info(since I’m somewhat familiar with the lowrance graph features already), or should I pick up the DVD’s first, then attend the class??

Thanks for the input!

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I’ve been to Doc’s class on the sonar stuff,… not the mapping. I’m just not all that interested in creating my own maps now with the Navionics HD and Lakemaster maps available for the places I fish most.
    I can tell you that I also have Doc’s DVD’s. They’re good too. The actual classes however, are way more “in-depth” and detailed, plus you get to pester Doc with questions if you have trouble tracking the topic. For the price, you will not regret going. You’ll walk out having learned many more features than you thought capable – and be able to make all kinds of optional adjustments to the charting, sonar and GPS elements to tweak things just the way you want them. Unless you really know the how-to’s of your Lowrance, you won’t be sorry.
    Besides,…. I’m sure most everyone – at some time in your life – sat in front of your TV with the remote in you hands and wondered what the he!! the 120 buttons really do???? …..You’ll know after Doc gets through.
    Splitshot

doc samson
    MN

Chowdski,
    The Lowrance Part 1 DVD is 80 minutes on multiple topics on a Lowrance/Eagle but I didn’t cover interpreting the display like your post requests. I have a new DVD that covers that subject. It will be available in a few weeks as it is at the “presses”.

The class doesn’t cover some of the menus and features in the DVD because of the varied audience.

With the DVD you can fast forward parts you have no interest in viewing (there will be some). The class covers understanding sonar and interpreting the display and the important Lowrance features, and too many topics to list.
    1 will have room at my Feb 4 class because I mistakenly scheduled it the same day as the Super Bowl. If anybody wants to attend call me on my cell 952-240-9298 today.

Thanks alot for the info. I will be picking up my first color graph (LCX-522 to start) within the next few weeks, so i think im going to take a look at the dvd’s first, and make it a point to attend the class sometime before the the ice melts. Are there going to be any more classes before April?? Also what is everyones take on the LCX-522? Is it worth the money to make the uprgrade to a bigger unit if i dont need the internal hard drive or a larger screen?

Thanks in advance!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Until we get a good read on the 2007 internal antenna, I would suggest the LMS-520C over the LMS-522C. The performance of the internal antenna was variable at best last year. If you can swing the extra cash, move up to the LCX-27C combo unit. The extra screen size is worth it if you can afford it. Jolly Ann Marine has online discount prices on the new Lowrance lineup. Let me know if I can help at all.

doc samson
    MN

I like the hard drive because I store my waypoint files, my logged charts and my maps on the hard drive. I will have more classes this spring. I just finished with setting up one at Scheels St Cloud March 17, and at Cedar Shore Resort following the PWT at Chamberlain, SD April 7.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I like the hard drive because I store my waypoint files, my logged charts and my maps on the hard drive.

To help you guys looking at HD units versus non-HD units, here’s the comparison:

7-inch screen: LCX-27C (Non-Hard Drive) … LCX-28C HD (Hard Drive)

8.4-inch screen: LCX-37C (Non-Hard Drive) … LCX-38C HD (Hard Drive)

10.4-inch screen: LCX-112C (Non-Hard Drive) … LCX-113C HD (Hard Drive)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.