H20c vs. ExpeditionC

• DkoyDan

Beats me guys…aren’t these two units the same thing? Same processor etc…? Only difference is Exp. having baro., compass, ….

If both these units just came out..which one would you pick? and why?

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

I think the H20 is water resistant.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

They are the same except the Expedition C adds:

Unique “Scout Mode” to mark area perimeters and create borders

Built-in electronic compass and barometric altimeter with weather predictions

Plays MP3 audio files from an MMC/SD card

DkoyDan

Hey Wade, don’t you carry the Expedition for less than the H20c? Which one would you prefer if they are the identical? Is the expedition waterproof? These units make u go koo koo. I was using a friends h20c this weekend and enjoyed it. Then he recommended the Expedition. Ugh…tech stuff. We need something that goes…FISH HERE

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

The H2OC is a little less money than the ExpeditionC. For fishing, you don’t necessarily need the extra features of the ExpeditionC, but that’s up to the individual user. Most of the guys here, including myself, are running the H2OC with either the Lakemaster chip or the Navionics Premium chip. If you are only fishing in MN or only in WI, the Lakemaster chip makes the most sense. Getting the maps is as important as which GPS you choose. For fishing, a GPS without contour lake maps leaves me disappointed. Ask around and I think you’ll find that most of the folks here run a GPS with a map chip.

We do have a couple of really good package deals where you get the GPS and the map chip at a discounted price. Those packages have been incredibly popular. If you want to shoot me a PM or an email, I can link you to a couple of ideas. If you include the lakes you primarily fish, that will help me too.

shaley
    Milford IA

I run the Expedition and yes its water proof. I like the scout feature for mapping reefs or humps for ice fishing. The MP3 thing IMO is a waste but some may have a use for it. Also when you run the unit all day like we do on our boats the baromiter function really helps. If I had to do it all over again I would still buy the Expedition.

DSchuss

All of the I-finders are water proof. We sell all 6 I-finders at Scheels and if your choice is between the H20C and the Exp C for $30.00 you are getting some great features and as the Exp C is a newer unit we find it runs the lake chips quicker.I recommend the Exp C every time, seems to make sense to me.Good Luck.

SharkTeam
    Mosinee, WI

Wade, could I use the mp3 function to pump music into my boat’s stereo system? Would it take headphones so that my boys could use it on the way to the lake? Thanks

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You may be able to if your stereo system is NMEA 0183 compatible. You can get headphones for it. I don’t know much about the music capabilities on these units, so I’ll link you to the manual too:

Expedition C manual in PDF

jd318
    NE Nebraska

You could get an FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack to play the MP3 over the boat stereo.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

You could get an FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack to play the MP3 over the boat stereo.

Good point JD! You must be from Nebraska!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.