New Boat Questions

• Adam1
    Superior/Balsam Lake, WI

I just bought a new boat (my first actually) and have a few questions. I hope somebody can help me out with some answers. The original trollong motor is on the boat. It is a mercury thruster plus. It doesn’t say how many lbs of thrust it has. Does anybody know? Also, the plug in is wore down. Can it be replaced? As a matter of fact, the rubber coating on the whole plug in cord is frayed and there are bare spots showing. Can this be placed also? or am I better off just buying a new trolling motor? The last question I have is that there are 3 buttons by the trolling motor plug in the front of the boat. One is the trim, one is a coutesy light and the third says run on the top and charge on the bottom with a middle position the button can also be placed at. What is the third button for?
    Thanks for any help that you may be able to give a rookie.

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

Personally, I would get a new trolling motor if you can afford it. Having owned a thruster I can tell you first hand that they were not a very good trolling motor.
    The switch you are talking about will allow you to charge your trolling motor battery from the plug in the front. You will have to buy another male plug and wire it with some 6 guage wire. Then you can connect your battery charger to the positive and negative leads on the male plug, put your switch in the charge position, and charge your battery.
    As far as the thrust on that motor, I think the 12 volt version was about 36 pounds. I hope this helps you. And congrats on your new boat!!

Adam1
    Superior/Balsam Lake, WI

Thanks for the info Bait Caster. I was afraid that I might need to upgrade my trolling motor.

Does anyone have any idea of what size trolling motor I might need? The boat is a Dynatrak 162, 16ft bass boat. The thruster that is on it now just doesn’t seem to be enough. I’m a poor college kid, can’t afford much!

NKT
    Louisa County, Iowa

Quote:

I’m a poor college kid, can’t afford much!

I decided quite awhile back I always “need” just a little more than I can afford. : )

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.