Which brand of batteries

• alkfish
    St Paul MN

I am in the process of shopping around for a new set of batteries. Any personal reccomendations? I am looking to buy 2 for the trolling motor and 1 cranker. Looking forward to your responses.

~~~~~~~~alkfish

Bassn Dan

AC Delco maintenance free batteries are the best that I’ve used. I’ve got 5 years on three in my Ranger and they are still going strong. Regardless of how well I’ve maintained conventional deep-cycles and starting batteries, they never hold up like the sealed units and the sealed batteries are a lot less hassle.

I haven’t been very happy with Gould/GNB batteries in the past and would avoid those if possible.

Good luck, and it will be interesting to hear what others have to say about this subject.

Dan

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Alkfish, I use the batteries from Batteries Plus, starter batts have I think a 2 year free replacement before prorating starts, and the deep cycles am sure it’s one year then prorating kicks in. good guarantees, and no hastle if needs changing out. In no way should you consider a battery from FleetFarm. Jack.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve got 3 1/2 seasons on a set of Wallmart Everstart/Evertroll batteries. (31 series.) No reason to think I won’t get one or two more years out of them. If they failed next weekend, I’d still buy another set!

Jon J.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I use the same battery as Jack for a starter batt and I use the Optima dry cell battery for my trolling motor, also from Batteries Plus, they are spendy but a great battery. I love that the Optima is 100 percent maintenance free, when my starter batt dies I will probably replace it with a Optima as well. I also use on board battery chargers, they stay plugged in when ever the boat is not in use this really is key to getting the most life out of your batteries no matter what brand you buy. The service I get at Batteries Plus is awesome, I will not buy batteries anyplace else, and no I am not sponsored by them or get any kind of discount. Check out this post from ReefRunner a while back

http://www.in-depthangling.com/forums/river/printthread.php?Board=pool4&main=3172&type=post

herb
    6ft under

I’m in the middle of my 5th year with the evertroll batteries. But I’ve also had my onboard charger that long too. I tested each battery before buying them though. Wasn’t sure how long they let them sit on the shelf before replacing them.

sednerb
    Mount Vernon, IA

I’ve also always used Evertrolls from Wal-mart. You can expect to get at least three years out of them, and not to mention they’re about half the price of a Minn Kota or an Interstate. I think I bought my last 27 series for 54.00. If I would ever have a problem with it within the first year, I’m confident Wal-mart will replace it, no questions asked.
    SEDNERB

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I splurged for the optima last year, very happy so far. The telling tale will be in life- they are supposed to last 2-3x as long. They advertise that they dont loose power as you use them, just die when they are done. As stated in another post, i ran them 15 hours at 75% of a maxxum 74 lb thrust motor and did not note any problems. As a side note- i have been happy with my everstarts in the past- i have one in my bass buggy that is running strong at 4 years. If choosing a conventional deep cycle a buddy who worked at batteries plus told me that there are only 4-5 battery makers that sell them to distributors (ie cabelas, gander, sears, walmart, etc) so often shopping for cheaper battery will get you the same product.

One other question- my understanding is that you should charge after every use- regardless of how long it is used- any feedback on this?

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

From reading other websites I believe there are only a few major manufactures of the typical lead acid batteries. The key is to get a fresh battery. I have used most brands throughout my life and have settled on Fleet Farm for all my car & boat batteries.

For the last 10 years I have run a 24-volt trolling motor with 2 trolling batteries. I also use one of my trolling batteries to start the big motor and power accessories. My batteries typically last about 5 years in the boat and 7 years in the cars, although I did recently have a battery go out after just 3 years. I never had a gas kicker so my batteries do get used quite a bit. Usually the battery connected to the big motor and accessories does not need charging — the big motor’s alternator keeps it’s battery charged when running from spot to spot.

I do charge my batteries after every use with an old fashion charger and make sure the water level is good. So far, I have not found a reason for going to an on-board charger, expensive batteries, or 3rd battery for starting my 70 hp. If my fishing style was different or if I had a 150 hp + motor, I may consider a separate battery just for starting and onboard chargers.

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Dave Gulczinski

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Excide absolutely SUCK! The ones from Wal-Mart have been great for a long time now.

walleyefinder
    Leech Lake area (God's Country)

i run Interstate Batteries in my boat and will be starting my third season with them. So far I have no complaints. A friend of mine has the same batteries and is on his 7th year with them. He does a lot of guiding, and is on the water most days out of the year. In the winter he uses the same batteries in his Ice house so these batteries defiently see a lot of use. Hope this helps

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

I have heard dry celled batterys are great. One guy said he charged it up for a weekend trip and didn’t have to charge it again for his whole trip. Compared to other batterys where you want to charge it up each night after a day on the water.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Great link !
    We should have a library of great links like this one Steve.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

FANTASTIC links, thanks Steve!! That is really good information about batteries, and all in one place.

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

I am on my second set of Walmart batteries. The first set lasted 6 years without a on board charging system. I have 2 Years on my second set of Evertrolls. I fish yearround and as much as 3 times a week average. I would buy another set of Walmart Evertrolls if my set would fail me now.

EricNaig
    Cylinder, IA

alkfish

I use the OPTIMA Group 31 BlueTop batteries for my trolling motor and starting battery. With all of the electronic gadgets we have running on our boats these days, I think a deep cycle battery (with enough cranking amps) is the way to go for your starting battery too.

The OPTIMAs look like a “six-pack” with their Spiralcell technology. This is a fairly new technology that gives you a leak-proof, vibration resistant and maintenance free battery with more starting power and longer cycle life.

Their website is http://www.optimabatteries.com

Good luck;
    Eric Naig

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just got 5 seasons out of a set of Exide Nautilus. Last week I bought a new set. They were on sale at Bumper to Bumper for $52/bat (type 27) In my opinion the most important aspect of battery life is charging and care (ie water level maint). Onboard chargers are the only way to go.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.