02 silverado waterpump leak

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

My truck had a pin leak in one of the waterpump gaskets.
    Has anyone else had to fix similar leaks? The gaskets are a joke. They’re not your typical gasket, Its a piece of aluminum with O ring type seals in the openings.
    Anyway I took the pump off today and put new ones in , and so far so good. The shop wanted $250 to do it. So I saved $235 and it took me 3 hours with no experience on this vehicle. If anyone is even slightly mechanically inclined, I highly recommend replacing gaskets or the pump yourself.
    Anyone had the same problem?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

HA I just got back from trying to make it to Mille lacs tonite and lost all my anti-freeze in Coon Rapids . I bet I hear that tomorrow from the shop.. Thanks for posting this,, It might save me some $$$. Geez Matt you’ve already saved me $180 on my seld carb cleaning.. I might have to “chip” you after all.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Derek In terms of difficulty I would rate cleaning your carbs a 6 and replacing a silverados water pump a 4. I honestly couldn’t beleive how easy it was. Thats coming from a guy whos replaced a pump in front wheel drive,…. and in a few fords .

You can tell that repair was taken into consideration when in the design stage.

As that guy in the Adam sandler movies says

“You con do it!”

Oh and you can “chip” in anytime now

coppertop
    Central MN

Hey Matt, Just had my waterpump replaced 2 weeks ago. Just picked my truck up tonight after getting a new intake manifold gasket $550.00. If you get time search online about GM and there use of the redish Dex-Cool antifreeze. Man this stuff is bad news for our years trucks. Lots of people spending $$$$ for repairs with this stuff!

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I have not had to replace my intake manifolds on my truck yet. I have replaced the intake manifolds on my last 3 GM Vehicles. The factory gasket is a cheap platic that falls apart over time. Worst part is they know they are bad but haven’t fixed the problem.

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

I have had to help a few of my friends replace their intake gaskets over the last year. That Dex-cool is nothing but trouble, plus it is more expensive .

Never checked into it to see if it would do any harm, but doubted it, but after replacing gaskets i flushed out the entire system and put the green antifreeze in!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

IF YOU DO HAVE YOUR GM INTAKE GASKETS REPLACED,,, BE SURE THEY USE THE NEWEST EDITION GASKET .. IT IS ALUMINUM WITH RUBBER INPREGNATED INTO IT..

SOME AUTO PARTS STORES HAVE THEM BUT YOU MUST ASK FOR IT OR THEY WILL GIVE YOU “OLD” STYLE..

JEFF

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The aluminum/rubber gasket you describe is what I just replaced. how old of vehicle are you huys refering to with the gasket problems due to extended life coolant?

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

What kind of problems are they having with the Dex-Cool anti-freeze. I just replaced my water pump this summer in my 95 GMC Sierra and put the Dex-Cool in since it said it was made specifically for GM vehicles. I wish I would have known then that the anti-freeze was bad.

Josh

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Had my water pump replaced today. They refilled with a different anti-freeze. They said the factory anti-freeze was bad and could cause motor damage.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

the “red” antifreeze is NOT compatible with the plastic gaskets that Chevy uses on their motors. It deteriorates the gasket.

My 2000 burb is in the shop right now, getting a new intake manifold gasket because of this!

It really has nothing to do with Chevy, as much as it is the “red” anitfreeze.

Don’t use it for it is not needed.

The “green” stuff has worked for decades!!!!!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They took pink out of mine and put pink back in. But a different pink.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Not all pink is good pink

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

I don’t think the dexcool is as much of a problem as the fact that people never change the antifreeze. I know that the dexcool is supposed to be able to be left in for life but it really should be flushed every 3 years. It will become acidic after a period of time because of electrolysis. That’s caused by dissimilar metals in the engine. Ford and Gm are trying to make the vehicles maintenance free but the truth of the matter is changing the fluids once in a while is cheap insurance. Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.